Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace Thoughts

Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 PM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fork Brace Thoughts

My 09 FXDC seems a little wobbly or flaky in the front end on extensive mountain road twisties. No doubt getting rid of Dunlops and getting Metzlers would help alot. BUT, in the mean time while I'm trying to wear down the HD Dunlops.....Would a Screamin Eagle Fork Brace do much to firm up the front end????

Thoughts??? or experience....

Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Superbrace for my Fat Bob and I would say the answer is yes.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

My bike was pretty squirrley, till I did the rear tire alignment and vehicle alignment... along with taking the preload out of the front motor mount....myself. Still running dunlops (D407 rear), but the bike is pretty good in the twisties now.

I don't think I need a fork brace or a true track anymore.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archergodwin
My bike was pretty squirrley, till I did the rear tire alignment and vehicle alignment... along with taking the preload out of the front motor mount....myself. Still running dunlops (D407 rear), but the bike is pretty good in the twisties now.

I don't think I need a fork brace or a true track anymore.
+1 I agree with Rich on this one. I think everyone who thinks they need a tru trac or fork brace should check out the basic alignment first. Made my bike 100% better just taking the time to align it properly.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fork Brace Thoughts

Great TIP.....I do have the Service Manual so I'll look into doing some alignment checks. I'm all for NOt buying add-ons when simple procedures may just do the trick. Motor Mount Preload...is a new one on me....tell me more please....

GARY

Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well... I've gotta admit.. I didn't have any steering issues but bought a fork brace anyway.. HUGE difference. Very glad I bought this piece of equipment. I will never take it off.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fork brace was a waste of money...a typical "buy into the hype" investment for me, anyway, and I'm really sensitive to changes in my bike.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uquackmeup
The fork brace was a waste of money...a typical "buy into the hype" investment for me, anyway, and I'm really sensitive to changes in my bike.
Great answer, I agree. With 49mm fork tubes you should not
need it.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fork brace made sense for older smaller diameter fork tubes and sportsters. This advice has been carried over to the newer bikes. The current 49mm forks certainly don't need them, unless there is something else wrong or you are racing. It won't hurt, but the 49mm FatBob forks just don't seem to flex much, if any. Knowing what I know now I would not have spent the $$ on the brace, put the $$ into shocks instead. Not sure about the smaller dyna forks.

My bike was aligned properly and the positrack did made a confidence inspiring difference, the bike is not quite as squirrelly under power. But if you never ride your bike in that envelope you would not notice much difference. Those of us that have spent some time on superbikes notice the stability right away, not saying that its for everyone or anyone. If you are unhappy and think the bike is a little squirrelly, an alignment, positrack or trutrack will make you happier. Metzers or Pirellis probably even more happy.

Your mileage will vary as some of us are just not that sensitive to the effects. For riding fun, you certainly don't need these upgrades.

I'm going to try the Ricors front fork inserts next. That front end can sometimes be brutal on left over frost heaves. I hope they're not all hype too, I've only read one negative review.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine may come off the bike. I didnt notice a difference, plus it looks like crap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fork Brace Thoughts