Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddle bags

Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
stubby
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddle bags

I've got an 06 fxdi with a corbin solo seat; confortable saddle. My question is I want to purchase saddle bags for overnight trips. I don't want to purchase a pillon for saddlebags and I 'm concerned throw over bags over the bare fender will scratch fender. I don't have the bread for bolt on bags. Will the leather scratch the paint and are there any suggestions on protecting the fender with throw over bags. thanks

Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: saddle bags

My question exactly, I have a 06 Bob and I am in the same boat. I don't want a bagger, but I do like to go on weekend trips several times a year. I'm looking thru J&P cycles catalog for a set of throwovers. I was wondering if those bags would do anything to the paint. I don't think leather can scratch paint but was concerned about rubbing. Anyone out there with throwovers having problems?

Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
grape ape
Tourer

I had throwovers on my Street Bob for a few weeks and here's what I did -- I took a black soft fleece scarf, cut out a section the exact size of the yoke for the saddlebags, and glued it to the back of the yoke (making sure not to use too much glue so it doesn't seep through the material). It worked well in preventing scratches and rubbing of the paint. Unfortunately, I discovered that the bottom of the right-hand side bag was making slight contact with the rotor so I had to remove them before causing too much damage to the bags.

Another suggestion I've read that seems like it would work is getting a mouse pad and glueing it to the back of the yoke.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
stbobber
Road Captain

What size bags did you have on? And also what do you use now instead of saddlebags?

Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

This is what im about to use on my Bob...

1) 6 cup pad, you can put and remove easy.
2) Throw bag for Dyna 99-2005 (should work on 06 Bob)
3) Special made Black metal Bracket for Bags...

Still missing the metal braket because i can't find anyone who can make them.
The brackets available for the Bob are too ugly and isn't meant for Throw Bag.

+

Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
stbobber
Road Captain

where and how would mount the brackets?

Old 06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
grape ape
Tourer

stbobber -

I had Willie & Max compact slant bags on there. Now I'm using a black leather backpack. Actually, I'm finding that that's working out very well. It's packed very light for just day trips so I don't even feel it when I'm riding, and I'm used to carrying a purse anyway so carrying the backpack around with me is just about the same. No worries about anyone swiping anything off my bike either. I also bought a leather barrel bag to mount on the luggage rack for when I need to carry more stuff. Between the backpack and the barrel bag, they hold way more stuff than the saddlebags did.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
stbobber
Road Captain

how would a backpack do on a 5 hour ride?

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
grape ape
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stbobber

how would a backpack do on a 5 hour ride?

I guess your thinkin no f...ing way.[8D]

Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: stbobber

where and how would mount the brackets?

I don't know.. I spoke to a busy friend today. The bracket is a U shape, so he said, we can probably drill a hole near the turn signal for the back end of the U, and use the current hole for the front end of the U bracket.

I don't like the idea to drill a new hole.

Probably gona place the back end bracket between the fender and the turn signal. if its solid. Worst thing that can happen is that the saddlebag break the turn signals.

I can't beleive Harley didnt think about Throw Over Saddle bag bracket kit for The Bob.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: saddle bags