Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will fiberglass packing remain after stock baffle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
agreif
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will fiberglass packing remain after stock baffle removal?

Guys, when you remove the stock baffles, is teh packing still held in by a secondary baffle? I know on the old mufflers the center baffle was held in by a weld. After you removed that there was another baffle that sadwiched the fiberglass backing between it and the outside exhaust wall. I'm just wondering if removing the baffle is also going to cause the fiberglass packing to come out.

Anyone have pictures of removed stock baffles?

From ackman1968

Removed

Thanks guys,
Andrew

Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock baffle on what? I removed the baffles from my 09 SB and the fiberglass is stuck to the inside of the pipe. The stock baffle had the wire mess welded to the baffle to keep the fiberglass from blowing out. I removed the fiberglass and reinstalled the baffle. So on the SB if you remove the baffle and run it, it will eventually blow the fiberglass out.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Stock baffle on what? I removed the baffles from my 09 SB and the fiberglass is stuck to the inside of the pipe. The stock baffle had the wire mess welded to the baffle to keep the fiberglass from blowing out. I removed the fiberglass and reinstalled the baffle. So on the SB if you remove the baffle and run it, it will eventually blow the fiberglass out.
Not eventually, immediately.

In the tapered muffs, the heavy steel mesh used to shield the glass packing is welded to the inside of the muffler cans, so you can remove the baffles and the glass packing is still held in place. On the SB and FB mufflers, the steel mesh is welded to the baffles, so when you pull them out there is nothing left inside the muffler can except the fiberglass packing with nothing holding it in or protecting it.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
agreif
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, should have clarified. This is on an 08 Low Rider. Does that mean the fiberglass may stay in there?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It will stay in. What you see in the second picture is a perforated inner shell. Sandwiched between the outer body of the muffler and that perforated inner shell is the packing. The holes are pretty small so the packing should last a fair amount of time.