Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum Rake on 09' Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Maximum Rake on 09' Street Bob

Does anyone know what the max rake I could do on my 09' Street Bob. I was looking at some different companies that make triple trees that don't have the built-in risers, and would like to draw out the rake, like on the Wide Glides. I know there are technical aspects to this that affect handling and ride, but that my extent of it. Period. I'm not mechanically inclined. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated! Also, any recommendations for companies that provide quality and affordabel triple trees would be much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After much research when I did this, I feel comfortable telling you that the 3deg tree is your safest bet as far as keeping the trail in check and not having any handling issues. I went with the 3deg trees and although its not raked quite as much as a WG, the difference is negligible while greatly enhancing the look of the SB.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can do as much as you want...just remember you will definitely sacrifice handling for looks the further out you go. If I remember, you want to keep the trail between 4 and 5 inches. Im sure if you do a google of rake and trail you'll find a wealth of info on the calculations necessary.

Just for the record, late model WGs have 34* in the neck and 2* in the trees for a total of 36* rake.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eventually want to do a WG conversion on my Bob...and front what I have read, 3 degrees is about as much as you want to go in the trees. Some have done more and it worked.

I plan to do the 3 degree trees, and a 21" wheel. Check these guys out for some decent prices on trees.

http://www.casscountytrikes.com/gpage1.html

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
reded
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
You can do as much as you want...just remember you will definitely sacrifice handling for looks the further out you go. If I remember, you want to keep the trail between 4 and 5 inches. Im sure if you do a google of rake and trail you'll find a wealth of info on the calculations necessary.

Just for the record, late model WGs have 34* in the neck and 2* in the trees for a total of 36* rake.
No, you cannot do as much as you want. The more rake you put in the trees, the less trail you will have. In order to keep the geometry correct, it should ultimately be raked at the neck. This is the reason for raked trees. When custom builders design a bike, they rake the neck then use raked trees to compensate and bring the trail back into correct dimensions. There is a science to it and if you don't learn it, you could end up with an ill handling bike that will pitch your *** off at high speed.

You may be able to get away with 5deg but anything more and the front wheel will try to mimic the front wheel of a Wal-Mart shopping cart once you reach highway speeds.

The link above is where I purchased my trees. Mine were the first ones to come from CassCounty for a newer Dyna with 49mm tubes. They work perfectly and and weere well worth the price although it was a bit of a wait due to them being the first set.

Last edited by reded; 08-25-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Reded, post some pics...
I've seen those trees on Ebay and wondered if they were any good. That is a screaming good deal for a set of trees.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
reded
Road Captain

Only pic I currently have and its from my phone.

Attached Thumbnails Maximum Rake on 09' Street Bob-sb2.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by reded
Only pic I currently have and its from my phone.

Looks great!!!! Did you go with the 5 degree trees? Any handling issue if so? Like I said, from what I read 3 is best as a consensus...but I have heard of 5 being doable as well.

Also, can you list what you actually did...21" front wheel, lowered rear shocks...etc. Curious as I'm in the planning stages for my winter project.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
reded
Road Captain

Mine are 3deg. I got them with no polish or chrome, just a machine finish as I was going to PC them black anyhow. 21x3.25 front rim 18x5.5 rear rim. 11" progressive 412 shocks. 15" apes with Magnum Black Pearl cables. C&C seat.

With the 3deg rake it starts to get a bit nervous at around 100mph but if you got the cajones to hold your right wrist locked it will roll thru it and run up to 120.

Last edited by reded; 08-25-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Nice! Thanks for the help and it looks great.

Quick Reply: Maximum Rake on 09' Street Bob