Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horrible starting sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Finally, someone has an idea. When I asked the dealership they said it was a compression issue. The only time it happens to me is when the motor is hot. If it is cool it doesn't happen. It usually only happens when I have been riding all day and then shut it off only long enough to fuel up. If I stop for food/etc. and it has enough time to cool down it doesn't happen. If I just do short drives it doesn't happen. Does this still sound like a starter clutch?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Found this on another thread. I guess the dealership was right. I had thought about having them install an automatic compression release on my cylinders, but then saw that it might be the starter, but I guess the issue IS the compression issue and the resulting failure is going to be the starter. So guess I am back to the compression release work.

Here is what I found on the other forum:

"The issue I don't see addressed in this thread is why are you getting the starter kickback? If I'm not mistaken then the factory compresion ratio on your bike is 8.9:1 You are now at 9.8:1 which is ideal for your cam but its tough on the starter unless you have changed your initial timing. On bikes with bumped up compresion and the stock timing settings you are going to get some kick back from the higher compression combined with the timing advance you get from a factory. I read but didn't see any clue as to weather or not you have a carb'd or injected bike. Your throwing alot of initial advance to the bike on start up and when you do this on a hot soak start up your going to get kick back which is notorious for trashing starter clutches.

You need to modify your initial timing for higher compresion engines or you need compression releases for hot soak starts or you need a programmable ignition system. If you simply replace the starter clutch without addressing the cause of the problem you will be replacing the starter clutch again very soon."

Hope this helps...

Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 PM
09DynaMan
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what "compression" is this?
stock motor with stock cam, and 103 flat tops with 31 h cam apply approximately the same resistance to the starter motor
as in, the cranking pressure is slightly less with the 103
of course the static comp ration has gone up, but that does not matter, as the cam drops it down again, so that the dynamic compression, and resulting cranking pressure is extremely close
a real easy start build
I do not understand the talk of timing at all
you have fuel injection
it is not as though you have accidentally moved the timing plate around
the initial spark is the same, as in there is no spark advance at all when starting
otherwise starter clutch would have a life of about 3 starts on all bikes
check your cranking pressure to make sure it is not too high, as that is what counts

Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Big Jon 1
Well keep us updated Evil Stepdad. I am interested to see if the dealer does anything to cure it or not. I may have to take mine in if it starts doing more often.
I had mine fixed today. It was the starter. Here is what the service note says: "Tech confirmed grinding out of starter. Pulled primary cover and checked pinion gears, all looked good with no debris in primary fluid or case. Performed current draw test and every time starter began to grind and amps jumped above 300 with the highest reading at 365. Typical values are 160-200. If amp reading is over 250 new starter is required. Tech R and R starter and problem was resolved".

I only rode it home from the dealer today, so it will take a while to see if the problem comes back.

Last edited by Evil Stepdad; 09-10-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser

Thanks for the update Evil stepdad. That's interesting. Let us know if after a few rides you start hearing it again. Hopefully you won't.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

I do notice that it starts much stronger than it ever has, so maybe it's been a starter problem all along that just gradually got worse.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
lonestarv
Novice

Thanks for all the info, helped me too with same problem

Last edited by lonestarv; 09-11-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Valerie Snetzinger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though this is an old thread I am so glad I found it. This really helped. My sons Fat Bob was so bad it would hardly start for me to snag it over to my house. Put the new starter on and BAM... No more problem. Cant wait till he gets home to see what I gave him for Christmas