Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horrible starting sound

Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
jfm5
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy horrible starting sound

when starting my bike (02 wideglide) very occasionally its stopped turning over and made an embarrassing grating sound then i press the starter again and it starts up with no problem. the other day the something happened when there were loads of people about it was embarrassing to say the least only this time there was a blow back through the carb with a cloud of smoke comimg from the carb has this same thing happend to you or is this something which Harleys sometimes do or is there a problem. thanks for any help

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. BlowBack.....check the Carb Bowl, as well as the Plugs, fouling can cause a misfire or a delayed misfire causing build up of gas in the chamber, hence blow back. get er' looked at, before you bust a seal.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhh, and check your adjustments for the Carb. she might be running a bit Rich..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Possibility

Starter clutch issues?? I wouldn't worry about a cough of smoke until you correct the starter issue. A warm engine that starts to turn over then stops in the middle of the sequence can very well cough back some smoke and compression. Correct the starter issue and I'll bet the other goes away with it.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 AM
09DynaMan
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need a new starter drive clutch
you have already worked out the backfire only happens when the clutch slips

Old 09-03-2009, 05:09 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rickr got it exactly.I'll get that cough now and then and though embarassing that is the extent of the issue. My '08 had the srarter drive clutch changed under warranty just two weeks ago with about 15000 on the odo. Should be easy to fix according to others who answered this same question for me!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
you need a new starter drive clutch
you have already worked out the backfire only happens when the clutch slips
+1 you need to fix the starter the back fire through the carb is gas laying in the hot motor

Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser

09 Fat bob here, I don't get the grinding sound the first poster reported but I get like a small backfire through the intake once in a while when starting it. No smoke comes out but it is a loud bang and it seems to happen just as I think it is going to start and I let off the starter button then bang, try again and it starts right up and runs great. It may not do it again for several weeks. Whats the deal with that? I have a PC-V, heavy breather and V@H Big Shots Staggered. Runs great and plugs look perfect.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

I'm actually bringing my 08 Fat Bob in to the dealer tomorrow for the same problem. Intermittent grinding noise when trying to start with accompanying cough/backfire and smoke. I'm assuming it's the starter clutch.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser

Well keep us updated Evil Stepdad. I am interested to see if the dealer does anything to cure it or not. I may have to take mine in if it starts doing more often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: horrible starting sound