Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap mods

Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
forever unfinished
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap mods

Well I finally got around to getting pics organized.
These are photos of a bracket I made to use the existing clutch cable in the form of a foot clutch and a jockey shift set up . The Jockey shift was made with a simple piece of steel tubing 3/4 inch O.D. cheap mods-dsc02391.jpg Took the pipe and hammered one end to a square about 1 1/2 up the pipe to slip over the existing shift lever from the original mids linkage. cheap mods-dsc02393.jpg Drilled appropriate hole for bolt and bent as needed to clear the electrical caddy. This was done as to not remove the primary to install and to be able to switch back to hand clutch foot shift in about 20 min worth of work. Inserted a short piece of copper tubing into the original pipe to get a simple eight ball from Autozone to install.
The Bracket for the clutch cable was made from steel plate avail at home depot with the pipe. i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure the propper size and height for it to work ended up being about 6 inches tall to get the proper angle for the cable to clear the primary cover and work properly with ability to be adjustable.cheap mods-dsc02675.jpg cheap mods-dsc02676.jpg installed look cheap mods-dsc02390.jpg continued

Last edited by forever unfinished; 09-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice lets see a good pic of the whole bike...

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 AM
forever unfinished
Intermediate

cheap mods-dsc02392.jpg cheap mods-dsc02393.jpg
The arm is the original hd part from the mids that went through the primary when i installed my forwards i cut the shaft behind the primary ie did not remove primary to install mids shift arm. So had this laying around removed about 4 inches from the shaft and re welded the lever on and cut to size and shape i needed. will need to replace bushings in the mount for the proper shaft size made them from parts from Home depot again
cheap mods-dsc02677.jpg
Then removed the clutch lever assembly from the handle bars and creative rerouting of the cable under the bike with a few zip ties. cheap mods-dsc02394.jpg cheap mods-dsc02395.jpg
I went this route as the kits to do this are around 500 + and it had been a long time since i had rode one and wanted to get a good feel for it again before shelling out the bucks for a proper kit as well as i am a cheap bastard.

Last edited by forever unfinished; 09-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM
forever unfinished
Intermediate

bike done very dirty but
cheap mods-dsc02754.jpg

cheap mods-dsc02755.jpg

cheap mods-dsc02753.jpg
working on side mount plate seat and fender hack next but have new baby so time is limited

Last edited by forever unfinished; 09-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

your setup looks well though out and engineered. I really like the idea of being able to switch back at a moments notice. Thats sweet.

Keep a close eye on clutch cable wear if you plan on keeping the long cable on there for any length of time. The loop up front is a bit tight, and your geometry is a smidgeon off at the foot.

I absolutely love that simplistic shifter. Thats pure genius

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
forever unfinished
Intermediate

thank you thank you.
Yea i know the geometry is off a bit on the bracket planning on makeing one useing a welder but just don't have one atm basically made it all with a circ saw metal blade drill and file had a shop weld the one item for me they did it free .

I also did a simple change to the lights changed the turns to
brake stop with out using the modulater used a new set of leads from cheap dual filament sockets from autozone modded the original buckets to accept dual filament bulbs and used dual filament red bulbs from jpcyclescheap mods-dsc02670.jpg

cheap mods-dsc02664.jpg

cheap mods-dsc02663.jpg

Last edited by forever unfinished; 09-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

just an awesome write up! my kinds of mods man!!! nice work!!! i love it

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I salute your creativity,
However it unnerves me to think of how many times I've had to grab a handful of clutch and brake needing both feet to stablize the bike at a quick stop..
Unless you become extremely quick at finding neutral.. Your going to have only 1 foot to keep balance in quick situtations, or you'll kill the engine.
I truly Hope this works for ya.
Be carefull......

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
forever unfinished
Intermediate

I agree. I have been riding with it for about 4 months now couple thousand miles. It can be tricky but as you get used to it it becomes natural, just like some one who is first riding. Always lean to the right a bit when you come to a stop and finding neutral just becomes second nature. I have had a few OH SHIOT moments and found I either end up in neutral and out of the danger zone or just rode it out on the pegs with both rear locked clutch in and steared clear till I could get back in a safe place. I cant lie I have stalled it a few times when I first started riding it but as i have gotten used to it thoes instances are fewer and further inbetween. I have been riding bikes since I was but 8 years old 37 atm and wanted something a bit different. Made the ride a bit more interesting to me and I always liked the looks of the jockey set ups on old school stuff.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never ridden a suicide setup. It looks sharp and I applaud you for stepping out of the box a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cheap mods