Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy, Dyna Super Glyde custom or Sporty 1200C

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default What to buy, Dyna Super Glyde custom or Sporty 1200C

I have narrowed my choices down the 2 bikes. Sporty 1200C or a Dyna Super Glide Custom. I'm asking for advice from you sporty guys. I currently have a Buell XB12S and now want a Harley. I can't carry anyone on the Buell unless they hold on for dear life. I don't want other guys holding on me for dear life and the wife would not allow a 21 year old female to hold on to me for dear life. Go figure. I need greater passenger capacity as well as cargo caring capacity. The situation is that I will have the cash for a sporty no finance (would trade in the Buell) and could get it with in the next few months. The Dyna would have to wait until next year when I would have a good chunk of change to put down(keeping the Buell). My question to you Dyan guys.
1)How it is better than the Sporty?
2)Performance of Dynas vs Sporty
3)Sound of engine VS Sporty?
4)Aftermarket parts vs sporty?
My Buell basically has a Sporty engine in it. So I know how it performs. Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:56 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: What to buy, Dyna Super Glyde custom or Sporty 1200C

The Dyna is heavier, and therefor much more stable at highway speeds, and is much more comfortable to ride long distances. Sporties are great for around town, and situations where it's more beneficial to be able to flick around a lighter bike. The Superglide Custom is basically just a pricy Superglide. When I bought my superglide, I quickly went to forward controls, a windscreen, and a SE primary gear down kit with SE pressure plate, along with some other stuff.

Most people that buy Sporties end up trading them within a year or so to get a big twin. My suggestion is get an "FL". Road King's and Electra Glide Standards are the absolute best to get due to their being able to do everything.

joe

Old 06-15-2006, 10:03 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmmm 1450 or a 1200.seems to me the choice is made

Old 06-15-2006, 10:05 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely get the dyna, but before my Bob ever was delivered I rode a friend's new 1200L with stage 1 and it was plenty quick. Handled the corners and accelerated well. That stage 1 sportster would probably beat my stock Street Bob, but once my stage 1 is done I could walk away from it I'm sure.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is really hard to compare a Sportster to a TC88. They are two different animals, each having desirable traits. If I read you correctly, you put an option on the table of keeping the Buell and getting the Dyna next year.
I vote for that. You then have two different machines. One for highway/totes and one for zipping around shorter courses. The only problem to face is dealing with the wife. I have a 1971 Sportster and a 2003 Dyna and I would not part with either. OK, I would not part with the wife as well. Riding 300 miles a day is done on the Dyna with the bags and windshield. Fifty to a hundred and not needing to tote baggage is on the XLCH. Just my 2 cents.................piniongear

Old 06-16-2006, 01:43 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: traveler

My suggestion is get an "FL". Road King's and Electra Glide Standards are the absolute best to get due to their being able to do everything.

joe
I actually agree with this...and I'll explain why. I have an FXDWGI and I love it...will never get rid of it...I always wanted a wide glide, and now I have it. But in all honesty..if I could do it over again, it would've been a tough call. Reason why is that I recently bought a sport bike off a buddy of mine for cheap. It's in great condition and it's really fast, handles better than any cruiser, and it's loads of fun. So I've got the fun factor covered. As far as the HD goes, I might have gotten a street glide or a classic if I would've known I would have a ricer a few months later. They're just so much more functional...lots of storage, bells and wistles, comfort. Of course..there's a stigma attached to the dressers...my wife said they're for old guys....well..call me old then
My wide glide, as cool as it looks, just doesn't have a lot of places to put things, it's fine for a couple hours, but probably not more than that...etc etc.
And yet...I still love it more than any bike HD makes....but nonetheless, I think I could really be into that street glide...and it would provide me with a lot more comfort and conveniences. It's a tough call because you're basically deciding between all out attitude vs less attitude/more functionality

Well...I'm probably confusing you more...but just take a lot of time and really think about what kind of riding you want to be doing the most, how long you're planning on keeping the bike, how much you want to customize, etc etc.
I think no matter what you decide, the sportster is probably the wrong choice. I'm not saying anything bad about sportsters (and some folks are very happy with them as a long term investment). But in my experience, most folks I've talked to have upgraded to big twins not long after buying a sporty. Once again...you really need to think about what kind of riding you will be doing. And, of course, what bike gives you a woody! Good luck.

Todd

Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The Dyna is better only because it's bigger. That makes it more comfortable for passengers. The sporty is plenty comfortable and plenty big enough for one rider and lots of luggage. The sporty is big enough and comfortable enough for a passenger on day trips.

2. The sporty performs much better out of the box than the dyna. It's lighter, quicker, faster, brakes better, and handles better.

3. The sound is differant. The best I can say about the sporty is it's "lighter"? Since the engine is slightly smaller, the exhaust note is slightly milder. But it still sounds like a harley should.

4. Boatloads of aftermarket parts for both bikes. The sky is the limit.

I've owned two Dynas and one Sporty. If you travel alone for long trips and overnighters, get the sporty. If not, get the Dyna. Passengers will do fine on both bikes for day trips and around town.

As for a big cruiser, well, that's another class altogether. I use my Dyna for a lot of local commuting and around town errands and trips. Although I love the RoadGlide I think it's just too heavy for that kind of thing, for me anyway. The dyna is the perfect commuter and day tripper.

You can do long distance cruising with the Dyna, too. My wife and I went to Vegas a couple years ago on my '97 WG. Spent 6 days on the road. Before that I went to Chicago; again 6 road days but by myself. You just have to learn to pack lighter. It's like comparing a Mustang to a Crown Vic.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 71 XLCH and it was a quick little sucker for what it was designed to do, race from bar to bar. Then I got a '57 FL and when I needed money the Sportster was history. No regrets. I still have the '57. My road bike is a '01 FXDWG and I love it. Screw the soft-tails, give me rubber mounted any day. I went on a trip last summer and averaged 550 a day and that's with a lot of stops to take pictures too. A super glide with the Harley "Big Bags" and you can go about anywhere. The sportster was good for about 250 miles before I got too sore to ride. Also, the sporty is about maxed out at 1200 where the Dyna can easily become a 95 incher and with ported heads (not the SE heads either) some gear drive cams, a bigger carb and a good 2into1 header you are about as fast as a sporster. My bike dynoed at 87hp and 98ft lbs of torque. Most guy that buy a sportster end up saying " I shoulda bought the hog" Good luck.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:24 AM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Good info on a bike I plan to buy real soon. I have been just about sold on the Super Glide. Have rode a friends Low Rider quite a bit so I think I know what the Dyna's handle like. Looking to ride one this weekend.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late last year I wanted a new Sportster as an upgrade from my 97 883. The Dyna Super Glide is not much bigger length wise, yet it is much more comfortable to carry a passenger. Plus the TC 88 has a lot of torque which is just what you need to carry extra gear and a passenger. So for a few dollars more I went with an 05 FXDI. If you indeed want the extra chrome then it is a bit more of a price jump to the Custom SG or Low Rider. The sound is for both after Stage 1 upgrades is Harley, but the Big Twin sounds more throaty. Parts for both readily available. The sporty out of the box is faster. After stage 1 the sporty is still faster than a big twin with stage 1. Remember that the Sporty is lighter plus the gearing is going to let the Sporty have the lead from the beginning, At the end the the big twin will close the gap. Way too many people had thought they were going to take the lowly sporty down, but have found out otherwise. My pinion is if the dollars are the driving force get the super glide and upgrade the chrome pieces as you go along if that is what you want to match up to the Custom or Low Rider Your passenger will thank you for getting the Big Twin.

LeavenworthJeff

05 FXDI Silver

Quick Reply: What to buy, Dyna Super Glyde custom or Sporty 1200C