Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wrap on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Yasky1997
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Wrap on exhaust

I have the stock head pipes with cycle shack slip on mufflers. My question is can you use heat wrap on the head pipes and still put the heat shields on. The purpose would be to try to reduce heat from the exhaust. I know that you would have to leave the areas on the head pipe clear of wrap where the heat shield clamps would go. Has any one done this, would it work

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

no offense man but that doesn't make sense. i interpret that as you want to leave your heat shields on and wrap your slipons? if you're gonna wrap your stock headers .. wrap your headers and take your heat shields off.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM
grizzwold
Tourer

I think he's sayin he wants to take off the heat shields, wrap the headers and put the shields back on over the wrapped headers.
It may be possible but the shields will probably not cover as much of the pipe and it may look a bit bulky.
I think it would look better to just leave the shields off. IMHO.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

that would only make the bike run hotter

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
kuxika
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grizzwold
I think he's sayin he wants to take off the heat shields, wrap the headers and put the shields back on over the wrapped headers.
It may be possible but the shields will probably not cover as much of the pipe and it may look a bit bulky.
I think it would look better to just leave the shields off. IMHO.
I think you're right grizz...but I'd like to know if this will work too...My vrod gets a lot of heat it feels like my kids are cookin...plus livin on a tropical island mid-day rides are hot as hell...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Yasky1997
Tourer

Yes it would be just to reduce heat. I like the look with thr heat shields on. I dont know if it would reduce the heat shield temp or adversely raise the overall engine temp

Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Yes, theres no reason you could not do that. You would need the smaller header wrap, not the really thick stuff. You can get it from Summit or Jegs pretty cheap. You can use either stainless clamps or do it like I did on my Buell, twisted wire for low profile. You just need to get the exhaust up on a bench. Mark where the shields mount to the pipe and wrap only where theres free space. Its important you soak the wrap on a bucket of water first as its TONS easier to apply. Also, start from the back forward since thats the overlap you want. It will smoke and smell like all get-out for a few days, then your good to go. Of COURSE it will make the bike run cooler, not hotter, as wrap not only improves exhaust scavaging, it will keep the hot pipes from reflecting heat right back at the motor and out the tail pipes. Its quite a time consuming job, but if thats what you want, go for it.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 09-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

well i'm no mechanic but my assumption is that if you wrap your exhaust and then cover that wrap you're only going to make things worse. Exhaust wrap is intended to breathe

Originally Posted by Yasky1997
Yes it would be just to reduce heat. I like the look with thr heat shields on. I dont know if it would reduce the heat shield temp or adversely raise the overall engine temp

Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Gutter Man
Cruiser

I wrapped my header pipe on my fat bob and then installed the heat shields. wrapping the pipe will not make the motor run hotter. I tested this with my temp gun. there was no difference in temperature at the exhaust on the motor before and after the pipe was wrapped. The heat shields do get hot but not near as hot as without the insullation. It is a very easy job to do, just get the header wrap slightly wet and keep going around the pipe overlapping an1/8" to 1/4". hose clamp at each end to keep it from unraveling. I do it to my 2 cycle sled pipes and it makes a very noticable difference in power because it keeps the heat in the pipe thus better scavenging of exhaust gases. I dont know if it helps that much on a 4 cycle but it does keep the heat on the outside of the pipe more manageable.

Gutter man

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

^^^^^^exaclty correct. Bobbed out, your not wrong in your thinking, just the theory. Exhaust wrap in not intended to breath. Quite the opposite. Its designed to not let heat out. To hold the heat in the pipe. Thats where its benifit comes from. Hotter exhaust moves faster threw a pipe than colder denser air. Racers figured this out eon's ago and street guys utilize it now. Just a note, wrapping pipes trashes them. It scratches the pipes and makes them worn out and rusty under the wrap much faster than otherwise.

Quick Reply: Heat Wrap on exhaust