Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Dyna WG Oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Hogeye
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dyna WG Oil level

I took my bike (beautiful Redhot Sunglo by the way! Makes me think of, "Well there she is buddy, a gleamin in the sun, there to greet a workin man when his day his done... ) in for the 1000 mile service at a local shop and they did all the tightening and adjustments, etc. and of course changed the oil. The specs called for three quarts of oil and so they drained it, replaced the filter and then put in three quarts of oil. When I got home, I checked the oil and it was reading almost a quart high on the dipstick! I called them back and said, "Dude, you put 4 quarts of oil in my 3 quart bike! Why?" They replied saying, "We only put 3 in."

Therefore I rode back in and watched them drain three quarts (actually just under due to the oil filter volume) back out of the bike into a clean oil pan and then saw them dump the three quarts back into the bike (so they proved it to me). The only two things I could think of were 1) the dipstick was wrong, 2) the bike holds less than 3 qts. They checked with HD who said three quarts so that option was out. But what donned on us was that the 2010 FXDWG has been lowered a bit this year and HD used the same jiffy stand. Therefore the bike sits higher (doesn't lean as much when on the jiffy stand) and therefore shows extra oil on the dipstick. If you or your shop is filling according to the dipstick, you are not getting 3 quarts and running too little oil in your engine. If you are getting 3 quarts, you should notice it reading high on the dipstick.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the 3 qt. that HD recommends is for a dry motor and the total capacity. Remember, when drained you won't get it all out.

So far I have averaged anywhere from 2.2-2.4 quarts, with it draining for a good 20 minutes after I warm it up.

Has nothing to do with the bike being lowered. I recommend you put in 2 quarts, check your dip stick and add according. If you over fill it it will be eventually puking out of your air breather, and if yours is stock I bet if you pull of the cover you'll find a nice oily mess in there.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hogeye
Novice

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

No problem, just something to be aware of really.

I'd love to see some pics of that color on the bike, was curious if it is the same as the 09 fatbob's...

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

2.5 qts in my '07 and not overfull. Just take a turkey baster and suck some out. Otherwise, take it to the dealer and have them correct it.

Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Hogeye
Novice

I just went and drained some out (a little too much...now I'm three of the seven squares down the dipstick) I'll get an extra quart tomorrow to top it off with (hot of course)

Thanks for your advice!!!

By the way, I ordered a Mustang Regal Duke seat to replace the stock and am hoping to have a windshield pretty soon. I'm trying to figure out which mini apes to put on...just for comfort. 12" or 10"?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Hogeye
Novice

Is the air breather just the air filter? I took the cover off to get to the air filter and saw now oil.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Yes, the black tubes are the drains. You might not have rode it enough to spew it out. Good for you, it can be a mess.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Only takes 2.5 Qts. with filter change. And yes, the 3 Qts is on a dry motor! Trust me, only 2.5 Qts!!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Do it yourself if your that worried , like I do !

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 10-02-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Dyna WG Oil level