Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UN-Bob and RE-Bob a Street Bob (Solo Luggage Rack and Bag)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UN-Bob and RE-Bob a Street Bob (Solo Luggage Rack and Bag)

I un-Bobbed my '09 Street Bob by adding a permanent solo luggage rack.

But Harley Davidson un-Bobbed it already by putting the friggin license plate bracket on the end of the bobbed rear fender like a 6" friggin mud flap. I guess they were going for the "18 wheeler look".

I need to ride with "stuff". More stuff than I can keep in my pants. And what goes in my pants, stays in my pants.
And I'm not going to ride with no backpack like the street racing sport bikers do. Just doesn't look right on a Harley.
Therefore my un-bobbing my Street Bob with solo rack and luggage bag.

Photos:

This starts in the "Tour Pack wannabe" mode. Doesn't look like a Street Bob to me.

View from the back with the Iron Rider overnight luggage bag tied down to the rack. The right side photo shows the lid unzipped. It's always good to have a top entry luggage bag so when you unzip, your stuff doesn't fall out on the ground.

Side views showing the 4 corner tie down straps and the 2 center tie down straps that snap lock onto permanently fixed snaps that can be hidden in small zippered pockets when not in use.

4 corner straps loosened for removal from the solo rack. Note the permanent center snaps have been stowed in their zippered pockets.

Starting to look like a Street Bob again.

This has worked very well for me for the past 2 months and 2,000 miles. I've ridden over 100 mph with it several times and over washboard roads once (but not at 100 mph). It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

The entire transformation takes about 1 1/2 minutes. Maybe 3 minutes if I've had 3 beers.

Last edited by SailorDon; 10-08-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it looks every bit the Street Bob with the ridgid mount rack.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I think it looks every bit the Street Bob with the ridgid mount rack.
Thanks for the compliment on keeping the Street Bob appearance, but I personally feel unloyal to the "bob" concept by adding that solo rack.

Of course the mustache bar and forward controls also depart from the original design, but at 6' 4" tall, I can't ride for more than a mile with my legs cramped up under my butt on the standard mid-controls.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have a solo luggage rack from Motherwells and don't think it detracts from the looks.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as we all love the bobbed look, there are times when you need some storage on the bike. A tail bag looks cleaner than saddlebags, and hey it's all about finding ways to ride more and drive less.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
it's all about finding ways to ride more and drive less.
RIGHT ON! I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master

If you look hard enough at my signature pic, you'll see that the Nelson Riggs tail bag is hiding the backseat of my Corbin Dual Tour. My StreetBob is not in fact a bobber, but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have a Nelson Riggs bag I bought on Ebay for $9 I think it was. Great bag and just the right size, not too big but big enough to carry what I need.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master

That dont look bad. I like that rack. Interesting thing, I think they make a passenger pad that mounts to that rack.

Didnt notice the mustache bar at first glance. powder coat it and itll be even less noticable. Thinkin about gettin me one for long trips. Question: are the pegs on the mustache bar low enough to keep your heels on the forwards and rest your toes on the pegs?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Don,

I'm in the same boat as you were. I LOVE my chopped down "bob" look, and I have been wearing my backpack (from my ninja days) for work. I need to carry my work gear in it so I have no choice. I feel restricted and hate the extra weight on my body...as well as the looks too.

Anyway, I've been eyeing some racks as well. I've actually considered putting a tube bag on the bars, don't care for the look but it looks just as easy on/off and don't have to deal with the rack on the back fender either.

I'll figure it out eventually as I don't want saddle bags on my rig either (since I have a vertical side mounted plate, they won't work either cause like you...I don't drive a 18 wheeler!)

bike looks great! I can suggest that adding Amsoil 75/140 severe gear oil in the transmission REALLY smoothed my bike out at 1000 miles...just a thought as I saw you mentioned clunky shifting in another thread.

Quick Reply: UN-Bob and RE-Bob a Street Bob (Solo Luggage Rack and Bag)