Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s

Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
navyshooter73
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s

Hey all, been lurking awhile, finally bought a H-D. (Now I own bikes from 3 different countries). Got to modify it, so need some advice.
New scoot is an '07 Super Glide, bone stock. I'm more of a sport rider, but everyone I know has been bugging me to get one of these damn things, so.... Sold one of my bikes, have some play money to get this thing up to speed.
Want to do a 180-190 rear, 18" front, dual disc brakes, chain final drive, better shocks, 2-1 exhaust, pro charger or similar.
I hate chrome (on my bikes), looking for performance first. I know this won't be a canyon carver, but it's gotta handle decent in the twisties (for a heavy chunk o' steel).
Any help is mucho appreciated. Sorry for long-winded post.

Also, WTF is up with no political sigs/avatar's? Can't I express my dislike for the current pres on here every time I post???

Last edited by navyshooter73; 10-12-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

the search function will greatly answer your questions.

As for no politics...here the admins rule. Can't say anymore without getting into trouble.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
navyshooter73
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried the search, internet here in The Big Sandbox is slow.

Thanks

Last edited by mud; 10-13-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: edit out the political crapola
Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
SilverV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're trying to make your HD into something it's not. I also own a sport bike and often find the HD boring in comparison. You're going to spend a lot of cash to build a bike that is slower, heavier and poorer handling than any cheap sport bike you could buy for far less. Save the dyna for when you feel like a relaxing ride down country roads with the little woman. For spirited riding (mountains, etc.), stick with a higher powered, lighter, more nimble sport bike. Sounds like it's already in your stable.

If you use your bikes for their intended purpose, you'll save tons of money and enjoy them more. It's the best excuse for owning several bikes.....different tools for different jobs! I'm sure many here will disagree, but I speak from 30+ years of experience and lots of wasted money.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've got a great bike to start with if performance and handling are your gig and it sounds like it is. The dyna is a great platform for it. There's a few of us on here that are into the same things. Welcome aboard!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hell ya that is a great start man! personally i would start with the suspension and then flow from there... let us knwo and we can help walk your right through anything... i just got a stearing stabilizer like Saint has, and am STOKED to give her a rip with it!!! just got to make up some clamps for it!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I don't have a steering stabilizer yet, but have done a few other things to my Dyna...they can be made to handle and perform quite well. I built mine with the intention of kickin' cages in the *** as I feel like it; I know I won't be able to spend enough to crush crotch rockets, but that's OK.....the fun factor can still be turned up a lot with the right mods.

Attached Thumbnails FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s-street-t.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

No idea why you'd want to go to a chain drive.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navyshooter73
Hey all, been lurking awhile, finally bought a H-D. (Now I own bikes from 3 different countries). Got to modify it, so need some advice.
New scoot is an '07 Super Glide, bone stock. I'm more of a sport rider, but everyone I know has been bugging me to get one of these damn things, so.... Sold one of my bikes, have some play money to get this thing up to speed.
Want to do a 180-190 rear, 18" front, dual disc brakes, chain final drive, better shocks, 2-1 exhaust, pro charger or similar.
I hate chrome (on my bikes), looking for performance first. I know this won't be a canyon carver, but it's gotta handle decent in the twisties (for a heavy chunk o' steel).

Also, WTF is up with no political sigs/avatar's? Can't I express my dislike for the current pres on here every time I post???
I agree with Silver V in some ways. but if you want to upgrade a Dyna, here is what I know.

You need some sort of stabilizer, Positrac or True-Track, Avon tires seem to improve the handlling for some, I have not done the dual disc brakes, but if I keep her, defintely the Hawg Halter four caliper will replace my stock two caliper. The belt drive is the way to go, but then again I restarted the last couple of years with belts. The last chain bike I had was a 1971 125 Yamaha, I would put air shocks on, the rear end vibrates on these things. I am always tightening and loctiting something.

They are not race bikes, but with a 103 or myself I favor the S&S 113 you will have plenty of power but if you do the power without the traction and braking, it will go straight fast and that is about it.

As you may know you can spend mega bucks doing this, a used bigger sport bike might be cheaper

Old 10-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by navyshooter73

I find my Fat Bob quite entertaining in the tight twisties. It is an amazingly agile and stable beast below 60 mph, well for a cruiser.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s