Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Truth about Exhaust Wrap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 PM
ELECTRICMONKEY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped my heat sheilds and I can put my hand on the pipes for about one second before I burn my hands.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
crooky
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience…. My pipes run a lot hotter with the wrap on, I’ve gone through many pairs of jeans this riding season. If you want to wrap your pipes I would recommend double wrapping them. I have side shots when I’m in heavy traffic the heat is too much for me, I will be putting on a second wrap this winter.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
ELECTRICMONKEY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crooky
My experience…. My pipes run a lot hotter with the wrap on, I’ve gone through many pairs of jeans this riding season. If you want to wrap your pipes I would recommend double wrapping them. I have side shots when I’m in heavy traffic the heat is too much for me, I will be putting on a second wrap this winter.

Did you just wrap the pipes or the shields too?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
crooky
Cruiser

Wrapped the pipes only I did not like the look with the sheilds on.

Attached Thumbnails The Truth about Exhaust Wrap??-wrap.jpg  

Last edited by crooky; 10-14-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm not here to add about the wrap, just to say that Crooky, thats a cool as hell lookin' motorcyle!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
crooky
Cruiser

Cheers bikerlaw !

Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wrapped the pipes on my bike a couple of years ago, and I did it against the recommendation of both the shop that did the headers on my truck, and the makers of the pipes for the bike. I had the Rinehart true duals but the left side stuck out too far and I kept hitting the back of my left leg on it when backing up. So I went with the Hooker true duals which have a closer fit. In fact they fit so close that the heat off the pipe toasted my side cover. Here is a picture:

Name:  Sidecover2.jpg
Views: 9871
Size:  120.2 KB

So to combat that I wrapped the left side pipe. Here is a picture.

Name:  Headerwrap.jpg
Views: 13255
Size:  103.1 KB

I ran it that way for a year. It sure did keep the heat down. Yes it smelled and steamed when it was wet but I accepted that. Then one day I was doing some work on the bike and had to pull the exhaust. When I undid the wrap it was brittle and broke off in chunks. And with it came large flakes of metal stuck to the wrap fibers. The retained heat had begun to break down the pipe and destroy it.

So, if you plan to change out the exhaust several times over the next few years like many of us do, then wrap away. However, if you plan on keeping the exhuast and would like it to last, then consider having it Jet-Hot coated.

Mark

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hey all.. im just a curious observer.. I thought the reason for wrapping was to keep the heat of the exhaust high so that the exahust would flow smoother through the pipe - less back pressure, etc... Wouldn't that mean that wrapped pipes would be hotter than not wrapped? Just trying to understand the theory I guess.
J.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
harper764
Banned

the theory of keeping the heat in the pipe is mostly marketing if you ask me. the heat shields themselves would keep more heat in the pipes than the wrap. its all about looks i think

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the way it was explained to me wrapping the pipes is done to intentionally retain the heat inside the pipes. This allows for minimal cooling and that means more of the expanding exhaust gas is forced out the exhaust at any given time. So yes, a few more HP are eked out of the motor. However, the retained heat is what destroys pipes, hence the large flakes I found when unwrapping my pipes. Drag engines run wrapped pipes because the whole thing is stripped and rebuilt after a few runs. So the exhaust system is almost considered an expendable item and is often bugeted that way by the builders. No so for many other owners including myself.

Now one of the collateral benefits of wrapping the pipes is cooler temps for the pipes themselves. So many riders, including myself, have wrapped pipes for comfort. They also look cool on some builds giving the bike a sort of drag or rat look. The down side as I found out is that the wrap does overheat the pipes (as it was designed to do) and that leads to metal deterioration of the wrapped areas.

Mark

Quick Reply: The Truth about Exhaust Wrap??