Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner Seat on Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sundowner Seat on Street Bob

I recently purchased a sundowner seat for my Street Bob and I noticed that the seat has a metal bracket that screws to the rear fender. I am wondering whether the metal bracket will scratch the paint of the rear fender?

Do you have any experience with this? I went to talk to the people at the dealer and they said that there isnt anything for it. They suggested the seat bumper kit which I already have.

Harlista01

Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 PM
freedub2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience you will get some rubbing. Mine came from the seat pan itself not where it is attached.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
harlista01
Tourer

Originally Posted by freedub2003
From my experience you will get some rubbing. Mine came from the seat pan itself not where it is attached.
Anything to prevent rubbing?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 AM
gt46660
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The metal will not touch. But other parts of the seat might. They sell a rubber pad to prevent this. I have seen some people place felt on the entire bottom of the seat. I have a sundowner and have no issues with it.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by harlista01
Anything to prevent rubbing?
Originally Posted by harlista01
I am wondering whether the metal bracket will scratch the paint of the rear fender?
Mine is a sundowner 2 up seat and I stuck four rubber bumpers underneath,but the seat was still rubbing so I stuck four more bumpers to the bumpers,for sure now the only thing that touches will be the bumpers,just gotta get someone on there to see if they are comfy. There is also 3M plastic coating you can put on the paint the holds on yet can be pealed off. The felt Idea may work for you too.

My metal bracket looks aweful close to the paint but instead snugs up the the nylon c-clip that holds the seat hardware to the fender.

Last edited by maddghost; 10-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There should be a silver-dollar size contour "washer" that fits up thru the fender from underneath. It has an internally threaded post about 5/16" high that sticks up thru the top surface of the fender and has a locating tab that keys it to a matching notch in the front [of bike] side of the hole in the fender. A matching washer goes over the post/tab so that the fender is sandwiched between these two silver-dollar size washers. Your seat tab should align with the washer's post/hole, and a socket head cap screw secures the seat tab to the washer/fender sandwich. I have the front mounting tab of my fender rack that fits on top of the seat tab on my setup. So your seat tab only contacts the topside washer; nothing to scuff paint. Look closely and you can see the large topside washer in this picture...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the seat bumper kit! It is just small pieces of rubber. I used a bycycle inner tube and Gorilla glued it to the bottom of the seat.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
harlista01
Tourer

Originally Posted by Prodriverdon
Forget the seat bumper kit! It is just small pieces of rubber. I used a bycycle inner tube and Gorilla glued it to the bottom of the seat.
I agree with you, it did not come with a bumper kit, the person who I bought it from put some felt circles already.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
harlista01
Tourer

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
There should be a silver-dollar size contour "washer" that fits up thru the fender from underneath. It has an internally threaded post about 5/16" high that sticks up thru the top surface of the fender and has a locating tab that keys it to a matching notch in the front [of bike] side of the hole in the fender. A matching washer goes over the post/tab so that the fender is sandwiched between these two silver-dollar size washers. Your seat tab should align with the washer's post/hole, and a socket head cap screw secures the seat tab to the washer/fender sandwich. I have the front mounting tab of my fender rack that fits on top of the seat tab on my setup. So your seat tab only contacts the topside washer; nothing to scuff paint. Look closely and you can see the large topside washer in this picture...

I definitely do not have that washer. Do you have the "technical" name for it so I can ask for it at the dealer. Currently I am just using the regular small screw that holds down my solo stock seat. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any additional data or part numbers for you; the setup was already on the bike when I bought it. I can tell you that both pieces are chrome, both are contoured to fit the curve of the fender, and the top one is polished up pretty well so it presents a smooth contact surface to the paint of the fender. I've had my seat(s) off a dozen or more times for swaps & cleaning, and I've never noticed any witness marks left by the washer in the paint.

One other thing comes to mind; I'm pretty sure that the threaded post of the underside washer protrudes above the top surface of the topside washer by about the thickness of the seat tab. The diameter of the post matches the hole size of the seat tab. The resulting stack ends up with the top of the post being pretty much flush with the top surface of the seat tab.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 10-19-2009 at 05:34 PM.