Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change

Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change

I'm just in the process of changing the oils in my Dyna - it's just about run in now. The engine, gearbox and primary are all drained out, but I've just come to get the oil filter off - man that thing was tight. Fortunately I found an old oil filter wrench that I bought years ago for my BMWR1100S - fits the HD filter like a glove. Glad I found it because things could have got messy if I'd have to use the chain wrench - it was REALLY tight!

Brings back memories of my Yamaha FZS600 years ago. I put it into the dealers for it's first service to maintain the warranty. Next service I did myself - the filter wouldn't budge. Took me hours to get it off, I ended up removing the whole filter mounting from the engine block and had to put it all in my rather large engineers vice, even then it was struggle. Why do people put filters on so damnaed tight?

I expected the Dyna one to be tight though..........seeing as how it's the original factory fitted filter and it's been on there since 2002! The HD dealer was supposed to have changed it - and all the oils before I took delivery of it - obviously they didnt! It was apparent when I drained the oils that none had been changed so I knew the filter would be the original!

Dealers - I hate the lying toerags!

Derv

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Um, thanks for sharing?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM
joe1984
Cruiser

new to owning HD but if i was to guess maybe they put them a lil extra tight b/c of vibration!!! but just a thought

Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Derv
..........seeing as how it's the original factory fitted filter and it's been on there since 2002!
Holy crap!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Your filter only needs to be hand tight plus 1/4 turn. But a filter on for 7 years...not good. If I were you I would get some Rotella 15w40 and cheap filters and flush that motor out by doing 2-3 oil changes and run each 1000 miles. Then go to the 20w50 & Harley filter.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dealer promised to change the fluids and did not - why aren't you taking it back to him and having them make good on it? Car and motorcycle oil filters need only be hand tight - the engine vacuum will seal the o-ring tightly. Thanks for the information on your Yamaha oil filter - that helps a lot.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Christ, an original filter from 02? WOW. How many miles?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Derv
Tourer

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Christ, an original filter from 02? WOW. How many miles?

The bike had 54 miles (that's not a misprint!) on it when I bought it about 6 weeks ago - it has quite an interesting story attached to it. I have mentioned it on here before on other threads

I'm an ex-engineer so I've always done my own servicing / repairs on my bikes and cars, I wouldn't go within a mile of any main dealership to have any work done.

As I said previously, my bike is a 2002 model year but was laid up for 5 years after it was bought new in 2004 so the motor won't need flushing. I didn't fancy the idea of it running on what was probably 7 year old oil even if it had only done 54 miles, which is why I asked the HD dealership I bought it off to change all 3 holes before I took it. I had a feeling they hadn't changed it - I never trust dealers, most will lie through their teeth to get a sale and maximise profits. Certainly the oil filter has never been off before and I have enough experience of working on engines over the years to know when I'm smelling old oil.

I've left the oils in the motor, trans & primary draining out overnight so it should be ok to fill today. I'm just basically working my way through the HD schedule in the manual for the first 500 mile service but I'll add a few things such as change of fork oil and I'll swap the spark plugs out for new ones as well. The bike has a full stage one Screamin' Eagle kit fitted - pipes, DynoJetted, coils and filter etc so I'll clean the air filter out as well and re-oil it with fresh K&N oil even though it looks fine.

It's a lovely bike though, apart from a few minor scratches picked up in storage - which I've now sorted - it looks like brand new. For those who've not seen it before, some photos here of it including some that were taken shortly after I bought it:
http://www.oldgitbiker.pwp.blueyonde...ide_Page_1.htm

Derv
l

Last edited by Derv; 11-07-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 AM
kpolak
Cruiser

Careful with the air filter. I have a Screaming Eagle filter, and it's water washable only. K&N require oil.
Looks like a nice ride!
PS Happy Birthday

Last edited by kpolak; 11-07-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

bike looks great... looks brand new congrats on a great find

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change