Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI pro super tuner stuff...very confusing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:35 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default EFI pro super tuner stuff...very confusing

I did a Search but it didn't help much. I don't know what they are talking about. I know absolutely nothing about what needs to be done for pipes and air kit with EFI. This will be my first new bike 2010 FXDC with EFI. I'm looking at VH Big Shots or the Big Radius pipes with a SE air kit. I went to the dealer this last Thursday and the Service manager went on and on about how he won't do a cheap down-load on a 07 and newer Harley. He said to do it right I need a $460 SE pro super tuner [I will get 20% off from that]. He said he would down-load this to my bike and I wont need to attach any thing to my bike. He said some of them need a box installed on the bike but for some reason he didn't like them as much.
When I did the Search they talk about PC III and a SERT and a bunch of other stuff that means nothing to me.
When I put the pipes and air kit on my 06 Sporty my total cost for jetting was $3 that was it. I just want what is best for my new bike at a reasonable cost. I don't trust dealers to much. Could some one point me to a thread that will help me understand what the deference's are and explained in a way that some one as dumb as I em about EFI can understand...I don't have unlimited $ to spend on this down-load stuff... Thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the sert (screamin eagle race tuner) is the 2nd best tuning device for your bike. The TTS mastertune is the best. In order to maximize your performance upgrades choose one and have the bike dyno tune by an expert tuner. They have the most amount of tunability and make a difference.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

An idea to toss into the mix. I have the Harley SERT.
Over the past year, I have had my bike dynotuned with three different states of engine tune ....
(different cams, etc.)
The most recent tune was a difficult one for the technician, until he realized the the SERT was BAD. The MoCo replaced it for free under warranty.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a TTS tool you can get a better tune than many and just as good as most pro tuners. Currently it does the best job and relatively cost effective, but anything for a harley costs way too much. TTS can handle any quirk you may have with the bike, if you don't like to tune yourself, pros worth their salt prefer it.

Here are a couple more specialized forums to search.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-injection-55/

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/board,13.0.html

Your choices to search for include (in order of cost) V&H fuel pack, PCIII, PCV, SEST, TTS, Thundermaz, PCV with autotune. There are others less common.

Currently the TTS is the hot ticket, but there is no really bad system and you get something you are most comfortable with..

Last edited by ColdCase; 11-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Sest

Here is my personal experience as a tuner with the HD SEST.
I have had very few possitive experiences from the over 50 SEST tunes I've done.

The software is unstable and seizes the interface (especially applied to Dynas and Sportsters) that requires rebooting the PC and start over when tuning while the engine is running on the dyno. The GUI is obviously written for and engineer sitting at a desk rather than for a tuner sitting on a bike on a dyno.

It does work OK to simply download a calibration, however non of them are close if the exact HD parts are not used such as the exhaust, so dynamic tuning is required to get the calibrations correct.
On the other hand, the TTS Mastertune is written for the tuner with easy-to-use GUI and very stable software.

The other point here is customer service....or complete lack thereof.
There is virtually none available from the HD SEST unless you go through a dealer. They then make a call to Tech Services. They, in turn decide if your question/problem warrants them getting ahold of the SPX/Kent-Moore software guy assigned to the project. Then the information is then relayed back to you via the dealer. Can you say crappy customer sService?

On the other hand, if you have a question/problem with the TTS product(s), there is a phone number on the website to call and you get right to the horses mouth to get resolve.
Can't say enough good about the TTS folks.
Hope this helps,
Bob
PS - I have a direct number to the software engineer @ SPX to offer input to hopefully diagnose and fix the above issues that have been a problem since the SEST's inception almost 3 years ago.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FuelMoto, a sponsor here, will program the Power Commander for your bike with the equipment that you are getting, then is plug and play.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDyna2006
FuelMoto will program the Power Commander for your bike with the equipment that you are getting, then is plug and play.
That's a good thing but not really different than other products, a map for the average bike with the mods is provided, but then it may not be a simple plug and play... you still have hardware to install, and a Dyna has limited room, a tight squeeze. It may be more difficult for the OP than simply plugging a laptop into the diagnostic port and loading a canned map into the ECU. It is less money, however.

Not taking anything away from FuelMoto, they also offer the TTS.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for the info so far.
Is a SEST and a SERT the same thing?
The service guy is trying to sell me a SE 'pro super tuner' $460 - 20%. So would that be the same as the SEST SERT?
I believe he said he didn't need to dyno it, he said he installs it with a lap top, dose that sound right or is he screwing me over?
I got to tell you this EFI with all this SEST and SERT and PC III and on and on sounds like it could get expensive, sure takes some of the fun out of buying a new bike for a old school carb guy like me.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob welcome
TTS master tune
JD,s cycleworks has them in stock and offers discounts to forum members
if you buy it from him he will also see if he has a map close to your engine configuration
if its a stock bike with a/c and pipes he could get you a tuned map .

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is this: if you increase the airflow through your motor by changing your intake and exhaust, you will need to change the Air/Fuel mixture, or your bike will run too hot, potentially damaging your engine.

This used to be easy and cheap with carburetors, but no longer with EFI. There are a number of ways to do this ranging from cheap (Xieds ~$100), to the TTS MasterTune system ~$425.

There is no shortcut for doing the research to discover what is best for you. You don't want to spend good money for less than what you'll eventually want and have to buy all over again, or pay too much for what you'l never use. Sorry, no easy answer.

Steve

Quick Reply: EFI pro super tuner stuff...very confusing