Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on ape hangers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
torkrollin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on ape hangers

i'm looking into getting a set of ape hangers. i have a 09' FXDC with forward controls and stock bars. i have looked at the older wide glide/street bob 12" mini apes. i'm 5'7" and really want to go with some as tall as possible and still be comfortable to me without putting my hands to sleep. i've been looking at
http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/default.aspx
any advice on which size, width and pullback?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Stanger
Road Master

I am 6'0", I have 16" apes on and would not trade them out for nothing! I really like them, have road over 400 miles in a day with no problems. I hope you get what you are looking for. just remember, 12" or so you may not have to change out cables or wires.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
torkrollin
Cruiser

stanger
i like the shape of your bars what brand are they?

my wife and i went to the local moco dealer this weekend. we sat on an older wide glide. we both liked the way they felt but i know that they wont be the same on my FXDC or her XL 1200L. we ordered a set of 12" mini apes for her sporty and found that we wont have to do anything to put them on hers. on the FXDC i have about 2" of room with cables and wires.stock buckhorns on mine are 7 1/2? i think.
so knowing i will have to buy cables, wire ext.. im trying to find about how high i can go and still be comfy being 5'7".

Last edited by torkrollin; 11-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Oldman - New Iron
Tourer

I got my 16 " 1&1/4 from hcc really cool peeps, fast shipping. The 16s I got are perfect & I'm 5'10, would'nt go any higher because it could get tough on really tight turns.I got mine with controls & pre wired, & cables, well worth the money.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can only go "up" in rise about 8" total with the FXDC wiring, throttle cables and brake line.

Thus you will need new brake line, fittings, throttle and idle cables.

The FXDC wiring can be re-used at normal length if you drill and go internal with the wires with at the max rise of a 10" baby ape.

Your body height would most likely suit a set of 12" apes.

You can cut and extend your wiring, solder, heatshrink, etc. and run them internal. It will take you a full day, but it is really easy.

Don't be scared to just order the parts you need and do the job yourself, much cheaper.

Paughco brand apes have always had the most beautiful and traditional bends IMHO. They sell a 13" dimpled ape, Part Number I-31, which I have run before, and they are wonderful.

They are $66.95.

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/index.html

After you install the bars and wires, you measure your distance needed with a sewing tape measure to find out the length needed for a braided brake-line, and throttle cables.

Order them just about anywhere. Simple.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Wide Glide and Street Bob apes are 10 inch not 12.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big burley apes seem to be all the rage now. I'm of the belief that most guys go with 16' apes now. Apes are ok ...give me a nice set of drags bars anyday on a dyna but her...that's me...good luck. What I'd advise is try before you buy. Be available to come in a try the position of the bars out if at all posible and if the shop let's you. You may even want to get the work done at a smaller independent shop that'll work with you and may give you more personalized advice.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldman - New Iron
I got my 16 " 1&1/4 from hcc really cool peeps, fast shipping. The 16s I got are perfect & I'm 5'10, would'nt go any higher because it could get tough on really tight turns.I got mine with controls & pre wired, & cables, well worth the money.
Can you elaborate? I rode the Dragon with my 16's and found those 'really tight turns' extremely easy to handle. It took zero effort to lean the bike through the turn.

+1 on HCCC. Good customer service and prices are more than fair. When I bought my last pair of bars the tech had to call back because he wanted to check physical inventory compared to what they showed on the computer system. Believe it or not, the guy ACTUALLY called back within the time frame he promised.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running the Hill Country 16" set-up. I'm 6"0 and they are perfect for me.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 AM
salebrity
Cruiser

I have the wide glide/street bob bars on my 09 FXDC. I'm 5'9" and they feel great. Check out my photo album.

Quick Reply: advice on ape hangers