Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 AM
X90
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also think just doing the bearing is a band aid fix.
If it's not a recall the customer pays( I myself would bitch and bitch and bitch until they got so tired of hearing from me they'd just pay for the job to shut me up)[/QUOTE]

Maybe your right about just changing the bearing. Time will tell. I'm just trying to avoid getting worked up to go duke it out with the dealer. I love my bike, but I don't think I would have enough patience to jump through hoops to get my bike fixed, not to mention the amount of time the bike would be down.

It also makes me nervous someone tearing into my bike two or three times. Not putting down the HD techs, but if I brought my bike in for any type of service, I wouldn't know who was working on it. Not all techs are created equal.

Hopefully, I made the right decision, and the Baker will hold up. Like I mentioned before, I will keep the forum posted if it should fail.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Jay2TheRescue
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hello all, I'm a n00b in all senses of the word. New to this forum, and new to motorcycling as well. Last month (6/23/2010) on my 39th birthday I bought myself a 2006 Harley Dyna Super Glide FXDI. I have been enjoying it a lot. I've put about 500 miles on it in the past month so far, and the bike has a total of just over 16,000 miles on it currently.

This issue is a concern to me. Is there any way to tell if my bike is one of the effected bikes, and if so, how can I tell if my bike has the updated primary casing? I've only had 1 instance of an issue, but now I'm starting to get concerned. 2 nights ago I was pulling up to a traffic light, clutch pulled in completely, and coasting at about 5-8 MPH. As I was coming to a stop I was bringing the transmission back down to first gear. It did not go all the way down to first. When I tried to kick down to first, it stopped in Neutral, and made a noise of grinding gears. I double checked that the clutch was pulled all the way in, and tried to kick it to first again, and I got grinding again. Once the bike came to a complete stop it shifted to 1st with no problems.

Since this has happened I have put roughly 30 miles on the bike, and have not had this issue repeat itself. Was this a fluke, or is this the beginning of trouble for me and my new bike/hobby?

Any help anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer

Are 07s affected by this? I've got a weird noise coming from inside my primary. Bike runs fine but has a distinct vibration on left side of bike.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

07's were not affected and not part of the original service bulletin from the MoCo.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
alexp883
Stage IV

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but i have an 06 street bob with this issue. Clutch out in neutral, grumbly, whirring noise. clutch in it goes quiet. Called corporate, said they couldn't do anything until the dealer diagnosed it. The dealer "listened" to it and they think the noise is "coming from the tranny, but it doesnt sound serious". Also, it "sounds like corporate isnt willing to help right now".Told me if i want to come pick up the bike they'd waive the $50 or so for the first half hour of maintenance. He was seriously trying to talk me out of having them look further.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 PM
alexp883
Stage IV

I said whether i pay or harley pays, there is still obviously a problem and i want it found. Bike has 7K by the way, im the third owner, bought it with 5K.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X90
I also think just doing the bearing is a band aid fix.
If it's not a recall the customer pays( I myself would bitch and bitch and bitch until they got so tired of hearing from me they'd just pay for the job to shut me up)
Maybe your right about just changing the bearing. Time will tell. I'm just trying to avoid getting worked up to go duke it out with the dealer. I love my bike, but I don't think I would have enough patience to jump through hoops to get my bike fixed, not to mention the amount of time the bike would be down.

It also makes me nervous someone tearing into my bike two or three times. Not putting down the HD techs, but if I brought my bike in for any type of service, I wouldn't know who was working on it. Not all techs are created equal.

Hopefully, I made the right decision, and the Baker will hold up. Like I mentioned before, I will keep the forum posted if it should fail.[/QUOTE]

X90, how is the Baker bearing holding up any issues?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:48 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, PKellyMc (Patrick) here. I'm the original poster of a popular thread in the IPB issue (Finally Good News...). Alexp883; if the "metal rollerskate wheel" sound rolls to a stop when you pull in your clutch (shifting into gear will stop it immediately), then sounds-off again as you release the clutch (shift back to neutral first), it's a lead pipe cinch you've got a bad IPB. I haven't read this entire thread, but all you need to know about getting this fixed on HD's dime can be found in my thread. Best of luck with yours.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Hi, PKellyMc (Patrick) here. I'm the original poster of a popular thread in the IPB issue (Finally Good News...). Alexp883; if the "metal rollerskate wheel" sound rolls to a stop when you pull in your clutch (shifting into gear will stop it immediately), then sounds-off again as you release the clutch (shift back to neutral first), it's a lead pipe cinch you've got a bad IPB. I haven't read this entire thread, but all you need to know about getting this fixed on HD's dime can be found in my thread. Best of luck with yours.
Do what PKellyMC says.

First failure was during warranty period. I contacted H-D Corporate at the second failure and got a "Reference Number". H-D authorized bearing replacement after dealer id'd that as the issue. First two failures were bearing only, and third failure included the trans cases.

Should be all-OK now. period.

Sammi

Sammi

Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM
abez
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old post but same old problem...

So I too am now experiencing this IPB issue on my 2006 FXDBI. I recently purchased from a private seller at 6,200 miles with no issues. at 7,200 miles after a weekend of riding, I noticed this same noise coming from the primary/trans area. In neutral, pull in the clutch lever and it goes away, lever out in neutral and there's that sound .
I contacted Harley customer service and they claim not to know of this issue and regardless it needs to be diagnosed by my local HD service dept.
So, I dropped it off last week and explained to them that this seemed to be a common problem that occurred in 2006 dynas. The service manager seemed hesitant to accept that this was a problem. they pulled up service history and said the repair was already done once. I showed them that this was not the IPB issue, this was a tranny recall regarding the neutral light on and had nothing to do with the IPB.
I printed out the amended service bulletin stating that ever 15,000 miles IPB would be changed at HD's cost, and so he contact HD Tech and came back with the later amendment stating that there is no longer a need to change the IPB. I left the bike there and had them diagnose the problem.

I just got a call back stating that HD Corporate will not be covering the cost of repairs. The issue is in fact Inner primary bearing failure and it has also most likely caused the Clutch baskets teeth to be worn/broken off as well as the starter gear teeth broken off due to movement on the shaft.
they are quoting me a bill of $2020 for the repair to include new bearing, clutch basket and starter.

this doesn't even seem to be the permanent fix just the temp fix until the IPB fails again later down the road.

I'm not sure what to do they said they contacted HD tech/corporate and they will not cover the cost. They say its a 10 year old bike and the issue has been resolved. The bike only has 7,200 miles on it.

any help/advice as to what should I do?

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story