Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank removal

Brain picking time again guys - fitting these buckhorn bars is turning into a more involved job than I thought. No big probs so far, now that the alarm is sorted - and yes now found the cover on the siren to get the internal battery out should I need to, so feel happier in case it goes into noisy mode again so thanks for the info on that. The extended clutch cable and new gasket for the gearbox side cover are on order and the brake line will be put on order next week after I've measured up for it.

Now though I need to get under to the tank to the wiring to extend it. I've had a look through the Clymer manual and it mentions using a hand pump to drain the fuel out. Is this absolutely necessary, or do any of you fine knowledgable gents know of a way around it? The problem seems to be that there's a pipe running between the two sides of the tank and it passes under the frame so it needs to be removed in order to lift the tank. I gather that if I take this pipe off one side without draining the tank then fuel will spew out all over the place? Not good if so - but it could be used as a way to empty the tank if that's the case? My guess is that it'll take ages, There is quite a bit of fuel in there.

Anyway - I'm rabbiting now - verbal mode off. Any help / advice / tips etc would be greatly appreciated

Ta muchly
Derv

Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 2 pair of small needle nose vice grips when I take my tank off. I lock both clamps and cut the hose between them. Never lose a drop of gas. Also I recommend you some day get an HD service manual. I had the Clymer one and it sucks compared to the OEM one.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Derv
Tourer

Cheers for that. The HD manual here in the UK is a tad expensive, to be honest the Dyna is the first bike I've actually bought a manual for in years - I usually muddle through stuff on Jap bikes and cars ok without one. Most tech stuff and torque values are available on the net and the reat is just common sense, but the Harley is a bit of an oddball after working in European and Jap stuff for years - even had to go out and buy a whole new tool kit!

So I gather as I first thought that when you remove the link pipe from one side, the fuel doesn't flow out too fast? Slow enough to put a stopper over the end? Still can't see the need for the drain pump!

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Derv

Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
akutz1
6th Gear

I am taking my tank off tomorrow i have an 07 superglide but from the way you described its set up the same. The OEM manual says to drain the tank by taking off the hose that connects the 2 tanks and quickly draining thru another tube, once its close to being fully drained as you can get it undo the quick connect line and pull that bastard off. Ill be giving this a shot in the morning let you know how it goes.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Derv
... So I gather as I first thought that when you remove the link pipe from one side, the fuel doesn't flow out too fast? Slow enough to put a stopper over the end? Still can't see the need for the drain pump!
I always like taking the tank off when I swap the bars. I never drain it... even if it's full.
I use these items on the by-pass tube when I remove my tank:

The clamp (I have no idea where I aquired it) pinches it off on the right side...
a self locking/forcep type clamp (aka roach clip) would work just as well:

The stock hose clamp has to be destroyed in order to remove it...
I used a spring type clamp (as pictured above) to replace mine.
The 'stopper' goes over the hose barb on the left side.
I slide the clamp back, pull the by-pass tube off & quickly cover the hose barb with my finger.
Then I quickly apply the 'stopper' & secure it with the spring clamp.
The rag over the valve cover catches the dribbles.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I use 2 pair of small needle nose vice grips when I take my tank off. I lock both clamps and cut the hose between them. Never lose a drop of gas. Also I recommend you some day get an HD service manual. I had the Clymer one and it sucks compared to the OEM one.
great idea about the vice grips, and i gotta agree on the HD service manual too.
i installed a fuel line quick disconnect with shutoffs on each side so all i need to do is push the disconnect and remove the tank. no fuel lost and it goes back together just as easy. if you take your tank off alot, it makes it real easy.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dpriest
great idea about the vice grips, and i gotta agree on the HD service manual too.
i installed a fuel line quick disconnect with shutoffs on each side so all i need to do is push the disconnect and remove the tank. no fuel lost and it goes back together just as easy. if you take your tank off alot, it makes it real easy.
Dude, I would really like to see the quick set up you have. I looked in to that a little last year but all I could find would only close one side. After I put 2 of the one sided together the whole thing was too long and I just said F it. It cost $2.00 to replace the hose.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Derv
Tourer

Dude, I would really like to see the quick set up you have. I looked in to that a little last year but all I could find would only close one side. After I put 2 of the one sided together the whole thing was too long and I just said F it. It cost $2.00 to replace the hose.
My kinda biker dude! Brilliant, bet I end up doing exactly the same!

Derv

Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
jss1975snow
Cruiser

I agree, I picked up 1/4" inner diameter fuel hose from Lowes, 88 cents a foot, same as OEM, shines better too. Harley would probably charge me over $10.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jss1975snow
I agree, I picked up 1/4" inner diameter fuel hose from Lowes, 88 cents a foot, same as OEM, shines better too. Harley would probably charge me over $10.
$11.50 at:
http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/ad...ords=63510-04a

Quick Reply: Fuel tank removal