Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration problems with Dyna Super Glide.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Rydertp
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vibration problems with Dyna Super Glide.

Hi,

I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide with 2600 miles. It was smooth up until a few hundred miles ago. Now there are vibrations which are felt through the foot pegs, seat and handle bars. The vibration in the foot pegs is low frequency during acceleration then becomes steady at cruising speed. The worst of the vibration is through the pegs and seat and to a lesser degree at the handle bars. I've had the bike to the dealer and they said the upper motor mounts were lose. They tightened them and said the problem was reduced but not entirely gone. Also the fuel milage has decreased by 4 to 5 miles per gallon. Any ideas.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Have them check the tires for balance and also look at the steering head bearings.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your front motor mount. I know they used to have problems with those deteriorating, especially if oil is spilled on the bearing and not completely cleaned off. Oddly enough, any petroleum based product doesn't fare well when petroleum products are spilled on them.

Also, some guys on this site have found a problem with a preload in the motor/mount setup. For some reason the motor isn't properly centered in the frame at the factory and they just crank the bolts down on the front motor mount to pull it into position. This creates a preload and can eventually pull the motor mount apart causing increased vibration once the mount completely fails.

There is a centering procedure in the manual, plus I think a few people on here have detailed it a time or two.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The vehicle alignment procedure outlined in the service manual, and removing the preload from the front motor mount, removed a serious amount of vibration from the bike. Also helped the handling quite bit as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Rydertp
Stage IV

Thanks for the tips, I have an appointment with the dealer this morning and I will suggest they check these areas. It will be nice to have a smooth riding bike again.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
coconl
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up vibration

Sorry about this but in V Twin forum there is a thread how to fix the vibration. It has to do with the front motor mount. Loosen the front mount and there will be a space between the mount and the motor. Get a spacer the same width , drill the holes same as mount and insert, it seems to take away most of the vibration on all DYNA s . I don't know how to do a link or I would have.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tons of threads on this with the very same fix on this forum as well coconl

Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Rydertp
Stage IV

Thanks for all the help. I have taken care of the problem. Great to have all this information available and people willing to help.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM
mxdad32
Advanced

Well, what was it???

Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rydertp
Thanks for all the help. I have taken care of the problem. Great to have all this information available and people willing to help.
What did you find?

Quick Reply: Vibration problems with Dyna Super Glide.