Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Ground on a 2010 Dyna Custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
rick in seattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Ground on a 2010 Dyna Custom

Hi Guys,

I'm installing a tach on my new 2010 FXDC, and am looking for some rookie advice before pulling off panels. I have the owners and service manuals, but cannot find the location of the primary/frame electrical ground. The last Harley I owned was a 1949 flathead (in 1961), so I'm a bit of a rookie as far as the manuals are concerned. I've removed the seat, console, and fuse plate cover. How do I get access to the battery and grounding point?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What does the install say to hook the wire to the primary frame ground? The whole frame is grounded to the battery. If you want to find the main point where the battery connects to the frame then follow the black wire from the battery. You remove that cover with the small phillips screw under the battery cover. Iam guessing its somewhere not far from the battery or the starter.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main grounding point should on the down tube of the frame behind the battery box. I had easy access to mine by removing the battery box.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OhioScully is correct on all counts.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
rick in seattle
6th Gear

Thanks, guys,

The Tach is installed and working. I wired it according to the HD spec; a little extra work, but it's a brand new bike. Thanks for leading me through the really basic stuff.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Could you put up a pic of the Tach installed?...Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM
rick in seattle
6th Gear

Here it is, front view.

All parts come from the Harley catalog and are specific to the 2010 Dyna. Wiring is terminated with the appropriate pins (Packard micro pin for the signal, fuse block pin, with fuse, for the power). It took me half a day to do this; anyone not looking at a Harley for the first time could do it within 2 hours.

The movement is very smooth; no jerkiness.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:03 PM
rick in seattle
6th Gear

Here's the side view. Sorry, but I haven't figured how to copy-and-paste two images and not terminate the message.

The glare is a bit strong, a feature of all that chrome.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Herbj
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Purchased 68986 mini tach a couple of months ago. Just getting around to installing it.

Pink wire location is found - back of connector on speedo - have to dismantle it to install a pin it seems.

Not sure about the ground - I have to run O/W wire to fuse caddy, so I will run black to chassis ground. Which is behind battery box?

This next wire is not so clear... Can you tell me where you connected the orange/white wire?

The instruction I have do not specify a FXDC, but I am thinking that the below instructions are correct for my bike too.

Are they? Anyone have any better instructions that those included with tach 68986-04?

FROM H-D INSTRUCTIONS...

For 2004 and later FXDWG models:
The tachometer power source is an open fuse position on the electrical caddy. See the Wiring Diagram for your model and the ELECTRICAL CADDY section of the Service Manual.

a. Remove the electrical caddy from the vehicle per the Service Manual instructions.

b. Locate the fuse cavity indicated as "OPEN" on the electrical caddy. There should be a wire feeding one side of this circuit, but no mating wire or fuse will be present. Insert the terminal on the Orange/ White wire of the mini-tach wire harness until it stops. Refer to a nearby factory-installed terminal for comparison to ensure proper orientation and depth.

c. See Figure 7. Install the 2 Amp fuse (8) from the kit into the OPEN fuse cavity to complete the circuit.

d. Re-install the electrical caddy and cover onto the vehicle per the instructions in the ELECTRICAL CADDY section of the Service Manual.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

HerbJ,

This thread is almost 4 years old. The OP has only 11 post (4 were in this thread alone)since joining in Dec 2009. If I were you I would start a new post with your question and information. You will probably get more and quicker results by doing so.