Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" Front Wheel on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
SteelCity
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16" Front Wheel on a Wide Glide?

Read somewhere that some one had put a 16" front wheel on their 2002 Dyna wide glide..

Does anyone know anything about this.. maybe done it or know whats needed to do it?

And if anyone has any pics that would be great!!..

Could be different!!, and they said that it handled better than stock?

Cheers folks..

Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 PM
scotch
Advanced
Default RE: 16" Front Wheel on a Wide Glide?

Knowing what I know about frame geometry, I would say that would not be true most likely. A larger front almost always makes for a more stable platform, especially a little raked out. You can turn on a dime, but you can go into a turn slower and still maintain control.

can't imagine that would look very good either...

Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about that myself quite a bit lately.I think it would look more like a real bobber with a big fat front wheel.You know there were bobbers long before there were ape hangers and 21 in front wheels.I think a 16" front wheel would give you so much more room for rubber that the front end hieght wouldn't be much different.I've also been wondering if there is a bigger front tire that can be put on the stock 19" rim, I've never been a fan of the huge gap between front tire and fender and I know it's not nessessary.I'd rather go with a bigger tire on the stock rim because it just about kills me spending money on purely cosmetic ****.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCity

Read somewhere that some one had put a 16" front wheel on their 2002 Dyna wide glide..

Does anyone know anything about this.. maybe done it or know whats needed to do it?

And if anyone has any pics that would be great!!..

Could be different!!, and they said that it handled better than stock?

Cheers folks..
Replacing the 21" front wheel with a 16" one will reduce "trail", which will increase the *chance* of speed wobbles. IMHO? I don't want to do *anything* to my bike that will increase that risk. I've seen too many vidoes of guys going down hard from wobbles. If you want a more chopperish look, install longer fork tubes. That will increase trail, thus decreasing short-trail induced wobbles. Stay away from excessively raked tripple trees, too: they also adversely effect trail. DWG trees are already raked a few degrees.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM
scotch
Advanced

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

I've been thinking about that myself quite a bit lately.I think it would look more like a real bobber with a big fat front wheel.You know there were bobbers long before there were ape hangers and 21 in front wheels.I think a 16" front wheel would give you so much more room for rubber that the front end hieght wouldn't be much different.I've also been wondering if there is a bigger front tire that can be put on the stock 19" rim, I've never been a fan of the huge gap between front tire and fender and I know it's not nessessary.I'd rather go with a bigger tire on the stock rim because it just about kills me spending money on purely cosmetic ****.
you dont' need to.. you can lower the fender to the tire.

The other thing you can do is buy a bigger rim and a lower profile tyre.

No one was arguing what came first, the bobber or the raked out chopper. but there is more to changing a WG to a bobber style. You need shorter fork tubes, new triple trees, cables, 16" apes, 1.5" lower rear shocks to begin with. Jst changing the wheel won't be enough.

sounds like cosmetic **** to me....

Old 07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
PJM NY
Intermediate

I saw one example of a wide 16 inch front on a WG, i though it looked a bit off. How about a wider 21' wheel? keep the fork and steering the same but a wider tire woudl have better traction in certain situations like braking. It would make the steering a little heavier, though. seems that some of the cusotm choppers have wider front wheels tha look high like a 21".

Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
scotch
Advanced

I agree completely. they also have beefier forks.

I would like to replace the entire front end of my wide glide personally. Both for asthetics, and function.

the wider front, beefier forks, dual font disks, all polished... yeah!