Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between a '99 and an '01 twin cam?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences between a '99 and an '01 twin cam?

Anyone know? I've run into a small snag in my plans. I'm buying the Thunderheart twin cam stand-alone ignition and doing away with my factory harness and wiring. I couldn't see any issues until now. I've come across sites selling this kit and they say it's for '01 and up. The only factory sensor that this system uses is the crank position sensor. Surely my '99 has this sensor, right?

Crap, reading the installation instructions closer, I found this:
Additional Components Recommended
For a complete installation, the following items are recommended:
DESCRIPTION OEM P/N QTY
Crank Position Sensor 32707-01 1

The part number for the CPS is 32707-01, meaning it was released in '01. Help!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

Here is how the system is wired, if it helps:

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Early T/C's had a cam position sensor:

From Daytona Twin Tech:

With the exception of few motorcycles manufactured in late 2003 (as explained above), the carbureted versions of all these models use an ignition module with two 12 pin connectors. H-D® did away with the camshaft position (CMP) sensor on 2001 and later models. There were reports of problems with these sensors. They may also have deleted the CMP sensor as a cost cutting measure made possible by the more sophisticated Delphi® electronics on the newer models.

Without the CMP sensor, there is no direct means of identifying which cylinder is on the compression stroke. The ignition system must use an algorithm that detects the slight reduction of crankshaft angular velocity on the compression stroke during cranking. This is not a trivial problem and not all the companies selling aftermarket ignitions have solved it.

If the ignition can't identify the compression stroke, the system must operate in wasted spark mode. In this case, each spark plug is fired twice - once on the compression stroke and again on the exhaust stroke. This is not as bad as the old dual fire, but it's certainly not what the designers of the Twin Cam 88® engine had in mind.

The TC88 is compatible with all 1998-2003 carbureted Twin Cam 88® models using an ignition module with two 12 pin connectors. The TC88 does not require a camshaft position sensor (CMP) and this sensor may be unplugged or removed on 1998-2000 models. If the CMP sensor fails, it may cause a short circuit that will prevent the TC88 from operating. Since the CMP sensors have a questionable history, we suggest unplugging the sensor.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

So, in a nutshell, the difference between my motor and an '01 and up is that I have a camshaft position sensor and they don't? Both motors have the CRANKshaft position sensor, which is what I need. The cam sensor is not needed and can be removed/unplugged. If this is really the only difference, I don't see any real problem here.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM
shuvl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry didnt see date on this post.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Guys,

Reviving an older thread from 2010, but I’d like to confirm what is noted by Lama:

“The TC88 does not require a camshaft position sensor (CMP) and this sensor may be unplugged or removed on 1998-2000 models. If the CMP sensor fails, it may cause a short circuit that will prevent the TC88 from operating. Since the CMP sensors have a questionable history, we suggest unplugging the sensor.”

Recently I picked up a non-running 2000 Wide Glide … no spark.

After determining that the crank position sensor is bad, I pulled the cam position sensor cover and discovered another problem. Pics of the melted mess attached. I have since removed the melted cam position sensor, and will soon order a new crank position sensor from the dealer.

So my question is this: Does this bike require a cam position sensor … or can it simply be eliminated as suggested above by Lama?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Differences between a '99 and an '01 twin cam?-img_4718.jpg   Differences between a '99 and an '01 twin cam?-img_4719.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Hey Guys,

Reviving an older thread from 2010, but I’d like to confirm what is noted by Lama:

“The TC88 does not require a camshaft position sensor (CMP) and this sensor may be unplugged or removed on 1998-2000 models. If the CMP sensor fails, it may cause a short circuit that will prevent the TC88 from operating. Since the CMP sensors have a questionable history, we suggest unplugging the sensor.”

Recently I picked up a non-running 2000 Wide Glide … no spark.

After determining that the crank position sensor is bad, I pulled the cam position sensor cover and discovered another problem. Pics of the melted mess attached. I have since removed the melted cam position sensor, and will soon order a new crank position sensor from the dealer.

So my question is this: Does this bike require a cam position sensor … or can it simply be eliminated as suggested above by Lama?

Thanks
I would think you would still need it unless you have an aftermarket ignition that does not use it.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I just spent the past hour checking several other sites. My understanding is the bike will start and run with the cam position sensor unplugged, but the check engine light will remain on.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM
PINKSTF9
3rd Gear

Hi so i am converting a 2000 FLHTCU/I to carb. Will the stand alone work with this conversion? it has a 12 pin and
I also got the wire harness. Help Please. I am trying to find the right Ignition for this Bike.
Thank You Pinky

Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

A guy on another forum converted a later model EFI Twink (a 96", I think) using a Thunder Heart ignition. Said it was simple.