Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna VS V-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell if all you need is a 103" kit and some cams to beat a vrod... sign me up!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

It's not about "apples" and "oranges" it's about physics; more specifically power/weight ratio. More horsepower/less weight should always win...
I think the V-Rod and FXD are about the same weight, but the V-Rod has about 110rwhp where the FXD has maybe 65+? And then there's the weight of the driver; some of them definately vary...so I say it's possible but not likely for a 103 FXD to beat a V-Rod under the conditions the OP refered to. And just because it ain't stock don't mean it's a grenade either.

Attached Thumbnails Dyna VS V-Rod-103-dyno-e-mail.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rcaddell
If speed is your need, don't ride a HD.
Yes I need power & acceleration speed from my HD, thats why most HD owners around the world modify their rides for more power & acceleration. My suggestion if you dont like power & speed then get your self an electric bicycle!!!

Now for those who say its comparing Apples to Oranges, I say why not? If my 103" Dyna makes about 115HP & 120TQ while a stage 1 V-Rod makes 125HP & 86TQ & both bikes weigh almost the same so I guess its a fair fight isn't it?? Beside my high torque in lower rpm will give me some advantage during acceleration.

Last edited by Rebel78; 02-16-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser

what if you put a light weight crank in it? i hate to sound like a complete idiot here but would that help? at all?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_Marine
what if you put a light weight crank in it? i hate to sound like a complete idiot here but would that help? at all?
Are you refering to the old trick of a Buell crank in a Sporty? Anyhow; the only advantage a lighter crank is going to give you, I think, is that you can rev faster and higher, which will possibly make more peak horsepower if the rest of the motor is up to it...but that's not in keeping within the overall design of the twin-cam. A well thought out build is the way to go and a lighter bike, if you can afford it.

When the gloves are off in the street, there's no excuses; you either win or loose...so you may want to pick your fights, too.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser

well the other night i found a website that sells carbon-fiber wheels for v-rods and v-twins. i was thinking about getting myself a set to lighten the bike a bit... i think that would be like 30 pounds off with just the wheels gone.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FXD_Marine
well the other night i found a website that sells carbon-fiber wheels for v-rods and v-twins. i was thinking about getting myself a set to lighten the bike a bit... i think that would be like 30 pounds off with just the wheels gone.
Do u have a link to their website?

Last edited by Rebel78; 02-16-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out motorcyclemetal.com

Howard's a good guy. I've been talking to him about shocks.

Originally Posted by Rebel78

Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the VRod can't modify his motor, I guess it is reasonable to assume that a highly modified 103" could beat it in the straight line. Some of the replies here are guys quoting HP and Tqe #s twice that of a stock motor.

Just don't let your "buddy" with V Rod make many mods to his.

All that said, I still like my Dyna better

Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rebel78
yeah ill take a look around and see if i cant find it again. they dont list prices on the site. it says "call for price" so they probobly come with a nice price tag. but the benefits should make up for it.

Originally Posted by gregbenner
As long as the VRod can't modify his motor, I guess it is reasonable to assume that a highly modified 103" could beat it in the straight line. Some of the replies here are guys quoting HP and Tqe #s twice that of a stock motor.

Just don't let your "buddy" with V Rod make many mods to his.

All that said, I still like my Dyna better
in a straight line? screw it! as long as the straight aways are short i bet money i can beat one in turns! you can lean a superglide farther than a vrod.

Quick Reply: Dyna VS V-Rod