Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags- Who has them Who Uses them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saddlebags- Who has them Who Uses them?

I've been looking for a set of saddle bags that won't be on the bike too much, just on those longer trips that I need to pack a rain suit, or some other gear and can leave the bungee cords off. I've been looking at a set of bags made by Willie and Max and they seem pretty well made. Synthetic leather is okay with me, I don't need/want a $700.00 set of bags stamped with the MoCo logo or name on them that will for all purposes spend most of their time off the bike.

I've also seen some leather bags on E-bay for under a hundred bucks, but common sense tells me they can't be great leather if they're under a hundred, hell, the synthetic bags are over $100.00 and I still think that's pretty reasonable.

I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion, what you liked, didn't like, cost, purchase place, etc. Whatever I decide on, they'll likely be mounted with a set of Ghost or Easy Brackets to make they easier to put on and take off. For what it's worth, they're going on a 2004 Superglide (FXD). Tail lamp relocation has already been done.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 PM
tl vette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saddlebags- Who has them Who Uses them?

no one can tell you what you will like but for me i opted for hard leather wrapped bags. they were for a sporster but i made them fit. what i liked was that they lock. that may not matter to you so just pick what you like. keep an eye on Ebay and also check outlets selling on the internet. i use them to guage if it is a good price on Ebay. i did get the easy brackets and i think they are worth it. i too take mine off for riding around on short trips. pick what you like but if you are like me, you may as well spend a little more and get what you like. hopefully you only do it once.
good luck,

Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
subculture08
Tourer

ORIGINAL: tl vette

i did get the easy brackets and i think they are worth it.
Looks like you have the detachable sissy bar set up. I am thinking about adding easy brackets but I am concerned that the combination of detach offset and easy brackets offset will make the bags stick-out to far. Can you post some pics from the rear with the bags on and the sissy bar off?

Old 06-26-2006, 11:01 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a cheap set of like new standard slant Willie and Max (based on Forum recomendations) on E-bay for $40 that worked well getting my gear to bike week in Daytona and came off quickly once there. I hardly secured them with lace but they held steady for several hundred miles at 80-90 MPH since they fit between the shock and turn signal. Not a bad solution for the price.

Just a warning......I tried to 'go local' on a pair of throw over bags and tried a dozen sets that didn't fit at all. The shape and angle of the bag has to be just right on the Dyna's if you don't want to relocate the rear signals.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a set of old Willie and Max bags that were made for a sportster that wedge just right between the shocks and turn signals on my Dyna. I use a small bungee across the center of my little Motherwell rack to secure them,but I don't think they'd move anyway. Just right for a jacket,raingear and a few odds and ends. On long trips I secure a Grantour bag above them and I got all the space I can use.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

I've been looking for a set of saddle bags that won't be on the bike too much, just on those longer trips that I need to pack a rain suit, or some other gear and can leave the bungee cords off. I've been looking at a set of bags made by Willie and Max and they seem pretty well made. Synthetic leather is okay with me, I don't need/want a $700.00 set of bags stamped with the MoCo logo or name on them that will for all purposes spend most of their time off the bike.

I've also seen some leather bags on E-bay for under a hundred bucks, but common sense tells me they can't be great leather if they're under a hundred, hell, the synthetic bags are over $100.00 and I still think that's pretty reasonable.

I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion, what you liked, didn't like, cost, purchase place, etc. Whatever I decide on, they'll likely be mounted with a set of Ghost or Easy Brackets to make they easier to put on and take off. For what it's worth, they're going on a 2004 Superglide (FXD). Tail lamp relocation has already been done.
================================================== ===============
I use my bags constantly since I keep the following with me at all times: rain gear, small tool kit, extra tail light bulb, tire guage, ball cap, couple extra bungees, pad for under the side stand for dirt or soft asphalt, bike cover and a couple sandwiches if I'm going to my part time gig. I use hard backed, wrapped bags so that way you don't have to bother with the fender brackets that keep the bags out of the way of the moving parts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/6AC80176D3524CCF83450EE245E96F8A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a set of leather throw overs made especially for the Dyna. I bought them at a local leather shop and I dont for the life of me remember the name, something like American Eagle or some such.They're held on with a couple of leather "laces" tied to the shocks and the fender rails. It only takes a couple minutes to put them on or off and when they're off you would never know they were there.They look good, don't break up the lines of the bike at all, and I think they kind of go with the old school look of the bike. Oh yea they were about $150

Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Boss Bags on my WG. They're awesome. Hold there shape,plenty of room,they lock, quick detatch that doesn't leave much behind,quick release buckles,long straps to secure stuff on top too,mount closer to the bike then most detatchables I've seen, and imo look good as far as bags on a dyna go. Only downfall is price. I think I paid close to $700 but atleast that included all mounting and quick release hardware. I'll warn you though I bought mine just for trips too but I haven't had them off except to clean since I got them.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
makoshark333
Cruiser

I wanted a set of good looking bags that fit my bobber and were detachable. I ended up w/ easybrackets and leatherwork bags and love them. Unfortunately, I have yet to take them off except for cleaning and turned the bobber into a bagger! LOL Mako

Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spent the bucks and got the quick detachers. 1 pull and they are off.

Quick Reply: Saddlebags- Who has them Who Uses them?