Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
stick105
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I have a 2007 Dyna Low rider that leaks from the gear shift that comes out of the primary cover. Is their an oil seal? Can I remove my shift lever and replace the seal with the cover installed? Thanks in advance

John L.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would get a service manual to check on what other seals/gaskets that maybe required. Sounds like the primary cover needs to come off to change out that seal. The older Dynas have an inspection cover we can take off instead of the whole primary cover.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
BoozerHi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to pull the cover, I believe it's called the tower gasket

Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
stick105
Novice

Thanks for the fast replies. I have a service manual and it sais nothing about this. The exploded image makes it look like the stem just goes through the primary cover and the oil magically avoids this area...except on mine where it leaks out. I am learning about the tower gasket using the forum search and google. Looks like yet another trip to the dealer for more parts and questions.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
apethtel
Intermediate

There is a gasket that you place between the inner and outer primary cover that allows for the "hollow" tube for your shifter shaft to come through. You will have to at least remove the outer primary cover to change. Not very difficult to do, make sure you clean it really well

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick,

That's why you need the Harley-Davidson "Parts Catalog" for your motorcycle. The Parts Catalog has exploded views of ALL of the parts and gaskets and hardware on your motorcycle and would answer this question for you.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem on my 07 this summer. Drain your primary fluid. You will have to pull the shift lever off, then the outer primary cover. There is a small, thin washer that fits over the shaft and butts up against the inner primary. The washer has a sticky side to it that will go on the inner primary side. Clean it up good and degrease the spot where the washer will go. Make sure you center the washer. Put on a new primary cover gasket and then follow the manual for the installation and torque numbers. Make sure that you pull the shifter shaft out slightly when you re-install your lever. Sorry I do not have the part number for the washer. If you do not have the service manual, at least stop by the dealer to see the blowaway diagram and you will be all set. Don't forget the obvious and re-fill the primary. I checked out all the guts while I was in there to make sure everything was still intact and not warn. It sounds like a lot of work, but its not. Just take your time.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
stick105
Novice

Thanks Drat!!! I appreciate the walk through

I have a service maual, but the exploded view (section 6) is not that helpfull. I was not aware of the parts manual or else I would have bought that as well, but then there would not be any use for this forum would there? I am not afraid of ripping into it I just didnt know how that shaft came through the cover. I was hoping it was like the gear select on an auto tranny and you could replace the oil seal easily without removing anything except the shift cable. Looks like yet another trip to the dealer.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Stick105, I just looked at section 6-3, figure 6-4 Primary Chaincase Housing. I believe the part you need is number 9 Tower gasket. The computer blowaway or parts catalog would probably have a better picture. I tore mine apart at the dealer and found that small washer-gasket center hole had become elongated. It was way beyond being round. That tells me that it somehow slipped or was not installed correctly at the factory. Anyway, it was an easy fix and stopped my leak. Good luck. Let us know how you turn out. I just looked through my tool box and found an envelope labeled washer with part # 63869-06. Double check at your dealer or wherever you get your parts.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Until you get a parts manual, check out bikebandit.com. He has the parts manual exploded views on the site. Just beware that he changes the part numbers so you can't take his numbers to the HD dealer and get the part. This should be the link to your primary.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-harle...-fxdl/o/m18615

Quick Reply: oil leak