Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender permanent install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Rich - do you have this installed? It's not on the above photo, but I imagine it looks perfect. I'll be ordering one of these and most likely the same kit you have. Already have the leads, this will just finish that off nicely.

Thanks for the link.
Here you go:

Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Here you go:
How could I not do this?!?
Thanks - the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

And you'll know where I stole the idea from...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
How could I not do this?!?
Thanks - the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

And you'll know where I stole the idea from...

Lucky for you I have not patented my ideas...lol It does take a little finesse to get all 4 bolts in and lined up in the metal, so be careful with the drill. Also, the powerlet comes with a backing plate, make sure you use it between the powerlet and the metal on the bike. There is a round shoulder on it that does not fit in the oblong hole, didn't want to drill out the hole to make it round. Would be one more place that could rust.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 AM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine goes around the side of the battery box, under the coil, and then I shove it out of sight in between the fuse box and the top of the primary. You can't even tell it is there.

Last edited by rbartick; 02-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Like, it gets wet enough to short out and mess up your battery? My guess is no, because you have it like that and it's working. ... just seems you shouldn't have electrical connections exposed to the elements. The tender pigtail has that little cap connected to it so it's covered when not in use.
I never had a problem with exposed battery terminals shorting out from water on any of the vehicles I've owned. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a bike or car with sealed battery terminals. The only problems I've ever had was with real high voltage, like moisture in a distributor cap, and I have known of others that have had problems with real low voltage (mili volts), like moisture getting in a connector of a computer as it is more sensitive.

As for the the banana jack connector on my bike, I've had it on there for almost twelve years, only been caught in a rain storm once, and I wash the bike a lot, no issues. I also had the same set up on my last bike for sixteen years with no.....issues.

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 08-28-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Updated: banana jack connector installed almost twelve years ago
Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No pictures right now, but mine is mounted with the battery tender plug sticking out about 1" out the side of the battery box pointing towards the rear wheel. Not noticeable when capped, easy to access when I park her.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Robert Strohl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamite17
I am a big fan of the Powerlet. I have one of these outlets on my handelbars

LINK

I ran cables to this directly to the battery through a 7.5A fuse.

It is NOT a cig lighter plug. They sell many adapters, this is the one for battery tender:

LINK

I connect this adapter to the Battery Tender cable when I want to put a charge on the battery. I have other adapters if I want to clamp on my GPS etc... I also carry in my bag an adapter to a female cig lighter plug for emergencies on the road where I might need to use a +12V plug like that for something.

These Powerlet plugs make a nice tight secure connection and they are very well made.

Bob
That's a pretty slick piece there Bob. I know this is old but I'm a newbie here. Been searching around the forum while I'm not busy here at work. I'm going to check this out as it seems like what I've been looking for.

-Rob

Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My bike came with the battery tender hookup already installed and its hidden between the battery box and ECU box area behind the motor. You just reach in and plug the tender in.

I thought that was standard equipment. Mine is 2010.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Robert Strohl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jmeiers
My bike came with the battery tender hookup already installed and its hidden between the battery box and ECU box area behind the motor. You just reach in and plug the tender in.

I thought that was standard equipment. Mine is 2010.
Mine did too! I bought my 2009 Nightster used though. The previous owner added all the stuff I would have. Which is nice. The bike had 71 miles on it when I rode it home.