Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo, Horn, Turn Signals not working...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
desertrat_18
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speedo, Horn, Turn Signals not working...

I ride a 2006 FXDBI and am having trouble with my speedo lights. In fact, I am having trouble with my speedo, horn, and turn signals. When I turn the key to either the start or ACC position, everything powers up just fine, except my speedo lights/odometer. Heck, my speedo doesn't even work now! When I hit my turn signal switches, the signals don't work, either. Same for the horn. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced it and POP! I traced the circuits out in the manual and the speedo lights, turn signals, and horn all run through the same fuse to the ACC position on the ignition switch module. I looked inside the rats nest of wiring in the neck/frame and even took a look at the speedo and ignition switch and couldn't SEE anything wrong. I suspect it might be the ignition switch module at fault, which sucks since it is not a repairable part. Also lending to my suspicion of the ignition switch is the fact that the other day I couldn't get the fork lock to engage; I noticed the locking pin wasn't ligned up with the hole in the bottom tree, so I pushed it back in place with a small bolt I had. Everything worked fine for a bit, but now I have no turn signals, horn, odometer, speedo light, or speedometer. Also, when I turn the key and hit the kill switch to run, a few seconds later all the lights flash about 4 or 5 times. Any ideas out there?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say all the lights flash a few times when you hit the kill switch, even the signals? Does the fuel pump come on? Does it turn over? Do you have the security system?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
crsowa
Tourer

maybe a pinched or exposed wire...

Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM
desertrat_18
2nd Gear

Security System= NO. Fuel pump on/turning over= YES. She will run just fine, I just have no idea how fast I'm going or how far... I figure there is a short somewhere, but I still have not located the darn thing.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 PM
desertrat_18
2nd Gear

Almost forgot: NO BRAKE LIGHTS!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 PM
chicagobob12
2nd Gear

I am having the same problems with my '97 Dyna Glide. I have had this problem since owning the bike. The right signal lights brightly when the turn signal button is depressed, but the filiment just burns bright, there is no flashing. I have read the contacts in the bulb receptical and with the putton depressed I have 12VDC on both contacts. When I release the button (I am not holding the button down just momnetarily depressing the button. If I hit the emergency flashers, both sides blink, but if I only slect the right turn signal, the flashing element just stys on constant and bright. I live in southern claifornia, so if there is someone near by, I will pay anyone $100 to get this lousey circuit working, I love Harleys, but their electrics is archaic, I am an electrician by trade and I can't figure out this Byzantine POS. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I have already disconnected the plug underneath the seat and cleaned it out with contact cleaner and checked voltages. I have power on the blue wire, but I don't seem to have power on the purple wire, these are the running lights and the flasher contacts at the bilb receptical. Let me know what you think, I'f you can fix this over the computer, I will still pay the $100. Thanks again, I sure hope someone comes back onto this forum, it seems like a ghost town here. Thanks Chicago Bob.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
desertrat_18
2nd Gear

Bob, it sounds like a relay problem. But I am not too familiar with a 97 glide, so I can't be for sure. If I am correct, the individual turn signals should operate on different relays than the 4-way/hazzards, so that would explain the hazzards working, and the individual right side not. I would say start there and see how it turns out. SoCal, huh? Me too. High Desert, to be exact. Small world.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Axman
Advanced

I had the same problem on my Fat Bob. It was the wiring down where it is very close to the swing arm. The mechanic at Harley told me they tape those cables on all dynas they get in just in case.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Latigo 1
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a trip through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada and developed the same problem on my 2006 Dyna Low Rider. After riding about 80 miles through the rain I stopped for gas. When I started out again I noticed the speedo and tach were not working. I checked further and found the turn signals and brake light were also not working and the little red key indicator light stays on. I found a blown fuse and replaced it. Speedo and tach were working again until I put it in gear and then it blew the same fuse again. Bike ran fine for another fifteen hundred miles and headlight, tailight, and running lights work, but no speedo, tach, brake light or turn signals. I have not been using the security system, and the red key indicator light stays on when the bike is running. I would appreciate any suggestions. A side note: I ran across a whole bunch of cold, wet, riders in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada in the last couple of weeks, and all were having a great time in spite of the weather.

The following users liked this post:
David Gow (04-15-2017)
Old 09-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Purple Hays
6th Gear

Bump. Same symptoms here. Speedo, odo signals not working and red Key security system light on. Was thinking battery. Have read it could be the speedo cable connection at the tranny as it magnetic and gets dirty or even a voltage regulator. Any ideas or experiences by others before I jump in?

Quick Reply: Speedo, Horn, Turn Signals not working...