Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the nut wont go on the exhaust bolt.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the nut wont go on the exhaust bolt.....

well i cant get the nut to go on one of the exhaust bolts. the threads on the bolt it self looks fine but keeps stripping out the nut a little more every time, but obviously its not fine. any way to fix this or get around this? maybe a nut with a tougher thread? idk really, but im gettin aggrivated, because i just installed an a/c and a pc3 tonight and im not getting to ride tomorrow,
HELP PLEAsE

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the exhaust off so you can see the threads of the stud and take one of the nuts you know to still be good and spin it on the stud and back off to make sure the threads are good.

Check your exhaust gaskets and make sure they are seated fully.

Line your pipes up and get the flange onto the studs without damaging the threads.

Make sure the pipe is seated in the port and flush into the gasket.

Thread the nuts on with your fingers while holding the flange tight against the head. Support the rear of the pipe with your foot for leverage.

Good luck.

There are tools called "rethreader" that you can buy to repair the stud if you've gone too far already.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default threads

I had to replace one of my ex studs in the cylinder and had to clean up the other with a thread file as it wouldnt come out of the cylinder. I believe it was 23 or 24 thread size file. It did exactly what you are talking about. If you have to install new studs be sure and anti sieze them before threading into cylinder. So they will come out easier later.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a helluva time with mine too. Thought I messed up once, stopped just in time. Hard to get to the front one, and I was working on a sportster.............

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM
RF99Dyna
Advanced

i literally had this problem about 3 weeks ago. I used a 5/16 die with a 23 (if i remember correcly) thread count. If you are sitting on the bike, the stud closer to the left side of the bike was easily rethreaded with this die. The hard part was the stud on right side. I barely had any clearance to get the die over the stud because it was so close to the head. When i say a 5/16th die, i mean that the hole you put over the stud is 5/16.. The die itself was about an inch across. I had to use a smaller 5/16 die to get to the stud that was almost against the head. The nuts spun right on.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
RF99Dyna
Advanced

also.. if you do go with the die method, make sure the die you are using isnt rounded. You're going to need to fit a wrench around it. There isn't enough room to use the die tool

Old 03-03-2022, 04:39 PM
silverkane
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jordanball33
well i cant get the nut to go on one of the exhaust bolts. the threads on the bolt it self looks fine but keeps stripping out the nut a little more every time, but obviously its not fine. any way to fix this or get around this? maybe a nut with a tougher thread? idk really, but im gettin aggrivated, because i just installed an a/c and a pc3 tonight and im not getting to ride tomorrow,
HELP PLEAsE
I'm having the same problem. I have one bolt that goes on by hand, no problem (rear pipe, bolt closest to wheel). The other three I can't tighten by hand or ratchet. Didn't want to strip the bolt. It almost looks like the bolts are galvanized and have residue on them. I'm going to see if a wire brush might help a little. It is frustrating and annoying.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:20 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,495 Likes on 2,612 Posts

^ by all means clean the studs
Replace the the flanged nuts (O.E. p/n 7593 ) 5/16ths x 24 UNF

The following users liked this post:
bigal51 (03-04-2022)