Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation/ride report. 05 Dyna true-track.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Installation/ride report. 05 Dyna true-track.

Well here's the installation/ride report on modified 05 Superglide. Just finished it up and went for test ride. Bike has FXDX cartridge forks adjusted properly, Progressive 418 adjustable damping rear shocks, fork brace, Continental TK44/TK16 touring tires, Factory mag wheels, 100 HP engine.
First the installation. Front true-track went on easy, i just made sure not to remove both bolts at the same time. It's UGLY. Luckily my Rick Doss spoiler covers it up completely, i had wondered if a true-track would go under it. Had plenty of room. Rear was a booger to install. Had to switch sides with the motor mount bolts and had to jack the transmission up to get one to line up to go back in the hole even though i removed them one at a time. Had to take rear master cylinder and line loose also. Not much room there with the tire on. Needed an extra set of hands from ol lady. I did it on the kickstand.
Now for the depressing ride report. I think i basically wasted $305. Bike already would scream around curves with little instability except on very bumpy corners. It was rock steady up to 120 MPH and i could cut through traffic like a sport bike. It did feel somewhat more stable running around bumpy curves at insane speeds but who rides like that and lives long. Only probably one out of a thousand riders would ever push one that hard. I don't know what i expected but at least i know now that it's the best it can be. That $305 stabilizer system might save my *** someday if i get in a jam and have to do some really crazy manuevering to avoid something.
With all due respect to true-track their product does seem to make a considerable difference on a regular un-modified dyna with stock tires. Too many people have installed them with great results but a FXDX was one of the best handling HD's ever made and this one has a fork brace and better than stock tires. The tires alone made a huge difference in handling when i put them on. I had installed a rear stabilizer(not true-track) and E3's on my 07 Road Glide and the improvement was dramatic. I guess my evaluation is stock or near stock bike-great. FXDX- save your money.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed your report. I expected..... OMG !!!! Insane improvement to handling, just sitting on the bike and walking it backwards out the garage!
Like you my dyna with better suspenders, 100+HP at the back tire, well cared for tires; flat handles SUPERBLY w/0 a stabilizer in serious twisty smooth roads at speeds up to about maybe 55-60 mph. An absolute hoot of a ride for a big cruiser. But crank it over a little at speeds over 60, the beast begins to get a little scary with the rear wheel doing it's own direction dance.
Even if I put a stabilizer on the beast, I would still not enjoy scraping pegs at really hi turning speeds on the big cruiser, it is just not built (IMHO) to handle big radius hi speed turns at peg dragging angles with or without the stabilizer.
Thanks for the write-up.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up!

I'm very enthusiastic about mine, but I have an otherwise stock FXDC that's still
on the original Dunlops.

Could you post some info on those adjustable forks? That might be an area I'd
like to explore.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

They're 39MM FXDX Super Glide Sport dual disc forks that came on the 05 and earlier dyna sports. They of course don't work on 06-later models because of the size difference. They are 3 way adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping, and spring preload. The damping mechanism is also different having cartridge damping instead of the regular damper rod mechanism in the stock forks. They also have dual discs instead of single. They're not something you would usually expect to find on a harley. The Super Glide sports and the Sportster sports were the only bikes that had them. The legs will fit right into the stock trees and harley used to offer the fork leg kit for 2000-2003 models. 2004-2005 models had larger diameter front axle and they didn't offer the kit for these years. They are slightly longer uncompressed(about 1") than stock forks but sit at the same ride height. That's all i know about FXDX forks!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the report, and I actually just reported on mine too, you must of bought about the same time as me. My experience felt different though, can't say I noticed anything just putting/jamming along but I go over railraod tracks leaving my house and right now I've got about a mile stretch of bad, bad road with tons of potholes that I have to endure leaving so today I was weaving in and out of them suckers and eventually I was trying to hit some to feel any stability improvements and that's where I picked up the difference, it's like my wheels and the pavement were velcroed, I actually laughed because it was kind of like my ride was telling the road, screw u, I ain't scared of you no more. Normally I hit em and the bike would get a little squirly.
I honestly have to say this too, and I thought I would never say it because I only weight a buck 75, but today was my first day that I actually felt the future need for rear shock upgrade, and I've never experinced that, but due to the front end work and now the truck track, the rear shocks were a slight weak link....

Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting ride report.
I really noticed a difference on my old WG with stock shocks.
I think the FXDX rear shocks help a lot with getting rid of the looseness that the TT fixes, if you run them stiff.
But for most of us with the soft and crappy HD shocks, the extra mounts help tremendously. No doubt, your TT is doing it's job too, just not as noticeable.
The area I noticed the most on mine was in straight line acceleration, feels like a traction bar. Post back if you notice a difference 'off the lights'.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:43 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave - Thanks for the TT review. Done a lot of perf mods on my bike and appreciate your write-up.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the follow up, Dave. I'm going to be making some long solo rides this
year and I figured that I would have a clearer idea of what I want to do suspension-wise
by this Fall.

I think the front compresses too easily, but I don't want to have a real stiff set-up.
I'd like to have real progressive rate struts (note that is progressive as in function,
not the brand name) but I don't think I know enough yet about what's available
to really know what direction I should go. Since I ride solo and even a full touring
load-out is less than 100 pounds, I haven't had a real problem with the rears.

I'll keep reading and listening..

Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

FXDXT here! TT kit sharpened my bike up a treat, so I am very pleased with mine. Interesting to see another view of it, although we all agree what a sob the rear is to fit! I would quite like to hide the front bracket, but haven't found a fairing that will actually cover it.