Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape hanger install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM
BullyDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it you can get a lot of help here. I did it and had a few questions and these guys really helped out a lot. It is not that bad of a mod. C

Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Titan56
Cruiser

I just finished my Burly 12" ape install on my Lowrider. It was not that bad. I was told to measure cable and line length with string. This did not work for me. Everything ended up be to long. Remove the tank from bike and cover the front fender with a towel so you don't scratch them. Put your new bars and controls on first for mock up. Then measure from the end of your stock clutch cable (cable jacket not cable itself) and your brake line to your controls. Then fined out what your stock lengths are and add that measurement to the stock length. Most places will not let you return special order lines and cables so try to get it right the first time. You will need to remove the transmission side cover to change the clutch cable and some bike atleast one exhaust pipe. The throttle and idle cables can be rerouted if you don't go above 12" I think. I you are internally wiring the bars your you'll probably have to extend the wires. Novelle has wire extention kits that make it easier to do. I think the hardest part of the job is getting the wiring harness out and then back in the back bone of the bike. Things you may need ( side cover gasket, clutch cable, brake line + line holders, exhaust gaskets, poly riser bushings, wiring, torque wrench and lots of money. Just take your time.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
07BlueScoot
Cruiser

I did mine on my own (with help from HD forums here) in my garage. Not a big deal, noticed your from Oklahoma me too, greetings.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Soldier
6th Gear

I live just north of lawton and been here about 6 months.

titan56 what did you do for risers on your lowrider? That seems to be the complicated part for me as far as finding parts? can you post a pic with the bars?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
If the OP doesn't go over the 'mini-apes height', then is he really installing apes as he inquired about.

The the OP: I'm no mechanic but swapping bars is not hard at all. It does take a little time to do. ~4-6hrs.

Run the wires internally. It'll look like crap if you just zip-tie them to the bars.
I don't recall reading what height bars he was planning on installing. Just letting him know about the wiring. The word ape is in the name minimum ape. Myself I don't really classify them as apes, that belongs to 14 inches and up.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Titan56
Cruiser

I use stock HD short risers. They work with the stock clamp. There2' or 1 1/2. I don't know the part # because the parts guy gave them to me. Ask the parts guy he should know, there cheap. Heres a picture when the bike was almost done. I'll take some more when I get a chance.

Attached Thumbnails ape hanger install-p1010198.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Soldier
6th Gear

can you post a pic of how the idiot lights look on the riser. also what did you do with the chrome trim peace that was on the risers. I have looked all over and have not found an option for the risers that will keep the stock clamp (idiot lights) the dealer neer me I guess just dont get it if it is that simple. he was unable to find anything. thank you

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
coryhdwg
Intermediate

hey guys im new to the threads ive got an 02 wide glide and also wanna ad apes, im going for 16". im not doubting my abilities to do it but was wandering have you guys used any install kits like hill country makes or would i be better buying everything separate, thanks!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

If you go with 16's you will not be able to use you stock wires and cables. Hill country is certainly an option but there have been a few complaints with them. I have seen shops get way over a thousand bucks to install bars and you can do it all yourself for a third of that. Depending on how you do it, the project can take a day or a weekend. Its not tough, but you need to think about what your doing and don't shortcut anything. The clutch cable is the only part that requires any actual mechanical skills. You can splice wires like I did or get the pre built harness's for extra cash. Unless I was 100% positive that these 16's were what I wanted, I would not run the wires internal. I have run 6 sets of bars in the last two years till I settled on what I have now. Running the wires outside the bars makes changing bars a 45 minute operation once you have the longer stuff on the bike. Internal looks better for sure, but make sure that you love the bars, because swapping them out once installed is a big hassle compared to external wiring.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
jbrown4217
Cruiser

Originally Posted by coryhdwg
hey guys im new to the threads ive got an 02 wide glide and also wanna ad apes, im going for 16". im not doubting my abilities to do it but was wandering have you guys used any install kits like hill country makes or would i be better buying everything separate, thanks!
I used the burly kit. Comes with brake line, throttle cable, clutch cable and wiring kit for $200. No complaints everything was the right length. I didn't need to use the wiring extension kit for 16s.

Quick Reply: ape hanger install