Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody running 103 with 255 cams? 103" issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 255 cam installed and tuned shortly after purchasing my bike. ACRs were stock on my bike so no idea about starting issues. I ride 2 up, and never at high RPMs. This cam is right where I want to be.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

If you want se products, the 204 cam set at 9.6-9.8 comp will give you a little better carry out on power and still be strong down low, it also idles much cooler than the 255. IMO

Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
If you want se products, the 204 cam set at 9.6-9.8 comp will give you a little better carry out on power and still be strong down low, it also idles much cooler than the 255. IMO
Just curious, how exactly a cam has anything to do with idle temperatures.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:18 AM
Shane C
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 flhxs

Originally Posted by SLV
Old thread, but still relevant.

I have SE255 cams and I'm very pleased. You're going to get a lot of opinions and many of them nay-sayers.

Here are a few facts.
  • The 255 cam is not intended for high-revving horsepower. It's intended for torque and it does a very good job producing it. See the attached picture for the power curves.
  • Someone's going to say that they "drop-off" or "quit working" at 4000 RPM. This is not exactly what's going on. Again, see attached. The torque curve does start to tail off at 4k, but you still have far more torque and HP throughout the rev range as compared to stock. It's not like the motor cuts out and stops working.
  • If as you say, you are a cruiser type and you don't rap out your motor, the 255 cam is a very good choice for producing torque.
  • Someone will say that they create heat, but I haven't noticed any more heat than my friend's bikes.
  • You will want to tune the air/fuel ratio properly with either a dyno tune, or an auto-tuning setup, or both.
  • There are plenty of aftermarket cams from Woods, S&S, Crane and others that perform better in terms of high end HP, but they all compromise at least a little on torque to achieve the high revving output. There are also a few that come close to the 255 torque numbers and still produce better high revving HP.

Your warranty is subject to a lot of subjectivity depending on the warranty work being done, but I doubt any dealer will deny warranty over a HD cam. I doubt they would deny warranty over any cam unless you really have a lot of aftermarket motor work done.
I had the dealership install the SE 255s and SE tuner at install. I also had a SE air cleaner and D and D pipes installed.

I think everything in this post is well stated. I have 8k on my bike so far and have had zero issues. My bike with its little 103 will outrun the 107 stock.

although it does produce real good torque down low, it does drop off a little sooner than I would care for. I am currently looking into a Thundermax tuner and some different cams. Currently wrestling between three manufacturers now.