Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with fork lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Livnoutdoorsxd9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with fork lock

Hey guys, just started getting the bike out after a long winter of mods. When i parked the bike, and went to lock the forks, i got the key turned back half way and then it stopped, it seems like it wont travel far enough to actually lock the forks. If i turn the wheel straight, it will turn all the way, but the forks obviously arent locked. Any ideas what may cause this? I was thinking that i might have wires or a connector in the way bc after i pulled them out to rewire my bars, i stuffed them all up through the bottom flap.

-Livn

Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM
rockymtnhigh
Cruiser

Maybe it sounds stupid by my dealer says dyna steering locks suck. Try turning the bars full lock to the left insert key then move the bars slightly to the right while trying to turn key lock

Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default Problem with fork lock

Try turning the fork all the way to the left, inserting the key, and moving the fork back and forth slightly until you find the sweet spot where the lock catches and locks the fork. Yes, it kinda sucks.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Costnsg
Advanced

Mine was hanging up (the lock) so I gave it a shot of oil in the key hole. Not sure this was the best approach, but my lock works really well now.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
tommyt35
Cruiser

WD-40 worked for me.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Uncle_Timmy
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Look under the neck while you work the key. You'll see the lock rod. My guess is that it's out of place. It's happened to mine a couple times. You can pry the rod back into place with a screw driver or something

Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Rockymtnhigh & Bqualls....... I have the same problem with my low rider. It was too far over to the left when I tried to lock it, and it only went half way. Slightly turned it to the right like Bqualls said and bingo.... it locked. Same thing trying to UNLOCK IT. You have to mess with it a little bit. Sure wish the lock was on the tank like Hubby's FLSTC.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
crepe
Cruiser

my 09 Fatbob did that a few times, then it just stopped turning like something was in the way. The dealer replaced it under warranty. The service rep said that Dynas are notorious for sheety fork locks.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Daytona a couple years ago I parked and locked the fork and after many hours and a couple drinks went to leave and I could not get it to unlock. It must have taken 30-40 min. of F-ing with it until it unlocked. Went to HD in Daytona and they replaced the everything but the ignition switch. They also said the fork lock gets out of alighnment. I dont lock it anymore unless it will be out of sight........

Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
El-Infidel
Intermediate

I agree with Uncle Timmy. Same happened to me when I was in a hurry and tried to lock it. Somehow it got outta alignment.....but, a standard tip screwdriver should fix problem and get everything back to where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Problem with fork lock