Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear tire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 PM
DanielBoone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing rear tire??

Any you guys change your own rear tire?? Any tips??

Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean take the rear off and put it back on or take the tire and tube off the rim and mounting a new one?

Take off the shocks, exhaust, the belt gaurd, jack the bike up, take out the axle and the wheel comes off. Reverse for putting it back, just make sure your belt has the right tension. Service manual will help a lot for the small details. Off the top of my head I think that's all there is too it. While you have the wheel off it is a good idea to check the brakes.

I just take mine off and the place I buy my tires mount, balance, and true the spokes for $25/tire.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

THEY TRUE THE WHEEL AND MOUNT FOR $25!!!!!!!! that is insane, i have never ever ever ever heard of it under 60 bucks to true a wheel! that is a hell of a deal
are you sure you do not just mean they mount and balance? they stick your wheel on a truing stand for a tire rotation? that is nuts!

if you are talking about pulling your tire off and swapping it yourself in you garage i have seen a sick trick using a garbage bag on older vintage scoots, but with the new beads on the newer style tires, go to where there is a machine so you do not mar your wheels up

Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't physically change the tire but I have removed the rear wheel and reinstalled it myself. There are plenty of posts here to search for with how-to's and tips. I bought a chrome pulley cover and then was afraid to try putting it on for 2 weeks before I bit the bullet, with help from this forum, and did it. It wasn't as bad as I expected and I had no physical help at all. And there are shortcuts from the service manual method that can save a little time and effort. Just be careful, of you have rear passenger pegs, not to remove the shock bolts and let the rear end fall down and the peg mounts impact your pipes or something and damage them. I removed my right rear peg mount before doing anything else to prevent that problem. Also support the front and rear wheels so things don't shift too much and cause a problem. If you work it just right, you can remove the wheel without affecting the alignment or belt tension so you won't have to readjust those settings when you reinstall. Just check for proper alignment and tension when you are done.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
THEY TRUE THE WHEEL AND MOUNT FOR $25!!!!!!!! that is insane, i have never ever ever ever heard of it under 60 bucks to true a wheel! that is a hell of a deal
are you sure you do not just mean they mount and balance? they stick your wheel on a truing stand for a tire rotation? that is nuts!
Yep. I though it was too good to be true myself. I used to bring it to another place that was $65 to do it and the tires were $30 or so more there. Sometimes it pays to go to ABATE events and meet some people is all I have to say about finding this guy.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the axle back in from the left side so you don't have to fk with the exhaust next time.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 AM
DanielBoone
Cruiser

Yea i mean taking the tire off the rim and putting a new one on,I have a manual so i ampretty sure i can take the whole thing off and then reinstall it,just wondering about mounting the tire itself,and not hurting the rim.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
tscreener
Tourer
Smile

I have always changed my own tires, but if you have very expensive rims I would have them done at a shop. I use a large c clamp to break the bead after removing the valve stem, then use 4 rim protectors and pull off the tire, I use the bubble stuff from walmart, that my kids blow bubbles with, big bottle and cheap as lube for the new tire, then mount new tire. I use dyna beads instead of balancing but you can pick up a balancer for 100 bucks of off ebay, have not had a problem with dyna beads yet. lots of video's on utube watch a couple and you will get the basics of it.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,342 Likes on 3,278 Posts

Chit for $25.00 I WOULDN'T SCREW WITH IT...I take mine to the local Indy shop....I do take them off the bike.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 03-18-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 AM
kenfm2000
Cruiser

I change my own tires using the cycle hill tire changer. I went in half on this with my neighbor. After doing a few of these it is getting easier. I can do the rear easy in under an hour now including removing and reinstalling it on the bike. I replaced a couple tires for my buddy as well. at this point I have replaced about 7 tires total so I feel have easily paid for my half.
http://www.cyclehill-tirechanger-sec...ults.asp?Cat=1

You can also see a good video here using two rim protectors and three tire levers. Just click on the video tab when the page loads.

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDet...#vehicleSelect

Quick Reply: Changing rear tire??