Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 2006 Dyna Problems Oil PSI now!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
stbobfisher
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More 2006 Dyna Problems Oil PSI now!!!

Ok so I go out to enjoy a perfect day on the bike 75deg and not a cloud in the sky, go for about 100 mile ride. All was good. I go home and talk the wife into a short ride. We head out and 8 miles from the house the oil light comes on, road about a mile to a pull off, motor did not sound normal, upper end noise but appeared to run ok. pulled dip stick found that oil level was overfilled and almost to the top of the fill hole. Last time oil was checked oil level was normal. Called friends for a ride home. Drained oil and changed filter. started bike up and still had no oil psi. I don't even no where to start with this one. Any help would be great. The 06 dyna is rely starting to disappoint me, 2nd major failure in 14k.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

When you drained your oil did you measure how much oil actually drained? Did some one else recently changed your oil for you and over serviced the oil tank? Was there oil in the filter? Almost sounds like the engine sumped or the oil got a bunch of air beat into it and that won't make pressure. Possible air bubble to the oil pressure sending unit and no oil pressure. Try loosening the pressure switch, crank the engine and bleed air out of it or replace the pressure switch. That's just for starters.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

I have bin the only one to service and i did not check to see how much oil came out of it, should have done that. But when i checked it was setting at the top of the fill hole. last time i checked about 1000 miles ago all was good, I changed the oil and still no oil psi there was oil in the filter but not the normal full filter or mess on the frame. You said motor sumped should it reprime itself, the motor is making noise in top end like there is no oil psi to the top end.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:58 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like your oil pump may have failed. I've read some threads on here about the pads on the cam chain tensioners on twin cam motors comming apart and the pieces getting into the oil pump and trashing it.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:29 PM
shadylane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No oil pressure and over full. That isn't wet sumping. The return oil pump must be working but the pressure side isn't. Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve is stuck open. You stated this is the 2nd problem, what was the first? Please don't run the engine till you find out what is wrong. Lifters will clack before the bottom end is hurt, this is what many of us use for an oil pressure gage.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

ok went back out pulled the new oil filter off and there was no oil in it, so pump is not working or valve is stuck, I pulled the side cover off and could see that it is involved to go any deeper into the motor, looks like you have to pull cams and pushrods and everything else, do you have to pull everything to get to this valve yo are talking about??

The other problem was the stator came apart about 1000 miles ago.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:52 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The tensioners in 06 dynas are the new style ones. They dont have the same problems that were found in the older spring loaded models.

I have one question. How could your oil tank have been full up to the rim? It would have to have way more than 3qts in it! When you change your oil, all three quarts go in the tank and the level would be down pretty far as shown on the dipstick. Did you accidently fill it twice when you changed the oil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcZUKq-QkQ

Last edited by redrubicon2004; 03-21-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

I am positive that the oil level was right last time it was checked, not sure which direction to go with it now, take it apart or take it to the dealer, have read a lot about crank problems causing the oil pump to come apart.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Excessive crankshaft pinion runout destroyed your oil pump.

It'll be expensive.

If you got the money, now is the time to install a welded stroker crank in the engine, and a Fueling oil pump.

If not, at least have your stock crank trued and welded by T-man.

Hopefully you didn't smoke your top-end parts by starving them of oil.

Good luck