Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Spinner18
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, will do. thanks guys

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser

you are right, it is a carbed bike. i had him check and he said it was carbed. this is the third time this week i have called on bikes and was told they are EFI, and to find out right before I look at them they are carbed. Does anyone have any complaints about their carbed bikes?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinner18
Does anyone have any complaints about their carbed bikes?
No. Quite the opposite. I bought the bike I have *because* it's carbed.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

No complaints with my carbed bike. Carbed bikes are a little harder to tune well these days because of the crappy 10% Ethanol gas. They tend to like a slightly richer jetting then they used to. Atleast that's what I've been told by a couple MC mechanics, and if you have stations that don't have the 10% Ethanol gas in your area it's a non-issue.

Carbed bikes are definately cheaper and easier to tune when you make changes like different pipes, air cleaners etc.

The carbed bikes take a little longer to warm up after they've been sitting, but it's no big inconveniance. You should really let your engine get good and warm on any air cooled motorcycle before taking off anyway.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Spinner18
Cruiser

i've done lots of carb tuning work on snowmobiles, how much different is it on these type carbs? when you change pipes etc, is it just a main jet in them people change? how does it work, always willing to learn

Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

yes he said fuel injected, no choke. also said to have stage 2 work done on it. picking it up on sunday if everything checks out. i've seen a few wide glides pre 04 with fuel injection...
I've got a 2000 WG and I pull choke all the time. So no fuel injection here. I also have mine up sor sale!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i've done lots of carb tuning work on snowmobiles, how much different is it on these type carbs? when you change pipes etc, is it just a main jet in them people change? how does it work, always willing to learn
They are pretty simple carburators, Spinner. The float bowl comes off with four screws from the bottom. There is a main jet and a slow jet. You change those until you get it dialed in.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Looking at buying a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. 6200 miles, one owner. Said to have Factory stage 3 kit. What does this entail? Also, its fuel injected.

Are there any issues/problems with this year bike? Seems to be not used much, ridden a few times a year, and said the bike is spotless. Price is asking $9500 on it. Looking for some input
That's a barely broke in Harley. I would buy it if it has a carb & the paint that you want. Who cares if it's 10 yrs. old? If it's fuel injected I would pass on it since it would have the early Marelli set-up, can be very finicky.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
No. Quite the opposite. I bought the bike I have *because* it's carbed.
Me too I bought new in 2000 and i think at the time u could have got efi or a carb ,, good year , good mileage ( on your bike ) , great scoot !

Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 PM
pascoz28
Advanced

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but be aware of the not uncommon rear cam bearing failure on 99-00 TC88s. I know first hand about this fault, which really should have been a factory recall but the MoCo got away with it because it's not a 'safety' issue.

My 00 FXDWG had 10400 miles it when the rear cam bearing went...causing over $2000 worth of engine damage. Thank God I was close to home! The only way to prevent this semi-catastrophic failure is to change the rear cam bearings to the newer type as specified in the 'official' Harley fix or do what I did and convert to gear-driven cams.

I can't believe the MoCo wouldn't even cover the parts for this fix because my 00 was out of warranty. (They extended warranty coverage on this issue to 5yrs/50K miles). My bike was 7yrs old but only 10400 miles on it...out of luck. Total crap.

That said, I know have a pretty much totally rebuilt 95" stage 2 with gear driven cams and it goes like stink...$3200 later...(gear drive and some other stuff pushed the total cost way up). Good luck with your purchase.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions