Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pascoz28
I know I'm late to the party on this one, but be aware of the not uncommon rear cam bearing failure on 99-00 TC88s. I know first hand about this fault, which really should have been a factory recall but the MoCo got away with it because it's not a 'safety' issue.

My 00 FXDWG had 10400 miles it when the rear cam bearing went...causing over $2000 worth of engine damage. Thank God I was close to home! The only way to prevent this semi-catastrophic failure is to change the rear cam bearings to the newer type as specified in the 'official' Harley fix or do what I did and convert to gear-driven cams.

I can't believe the MoCo wouldn't even cover the parts for this fix because my 00 was out of warranty. (They extended warranty coverage on this issue to 5yrs/50K miles). My bike was 7yrs old but only 10400 miles on it...out of luck. Total crap.

That said, I know have a pretty much totally rebuilt 95" stage 2 with gear driven cams and it goes like stink...$3200 later...(gear drive and some other stuff pushed the total cost way up). Good luck with your purchase.
Yup. Happened to my next door neighbor right after he bought the bike. New.

Maybe the work has already been done on this one? Can't hurt to ask.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 PM
pascoz28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definitely ask! At $8K it sounds like a great deal and with that much work being done, there's a fair chance that they upgraded to the gear driven cams...hopefully!

Old 12-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Byron Hedges
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iasues

Originally Posted by Spinner18
Looking at buying a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. 6200 miles, one owner. Said to have Factory stage 3 kit. What does this entail? Also, its fuel injected.

Are there any issues/problems with this year bike? Seems to be not used much, ridden a few times a year, and said the bike is spotless. Price is asking $9500 on it. Looking for some input
2000 fxdwg was my first harley love my bike I've heard the timing chain tensioner were plastic. So to replace to had to pull the motor because there is one inside one outside of casing . Most people take advantage of upgrading those tensioner which also relocates the oil pump. Other than this issue I have not had an issue w my ride just about to role over 30k 6k last summer

Old 12-29-2020, 05:25 PM
SJMathisen
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by red devil
If you think about it, someone spent the money on upgrading the motor and then only averaged 620 miles a year? That would make me wonder how it actually rode and if reliability comes into play. With not knowing when the motor was done, I would be a little cautious, and $9500 in my opinion is way too much.
Totally agree with this conclusion. I've had a ton of Harley's in my life....currently own 3 of them. Always bought used but would never buy a bike where someone has gone into the engine unless done by a Certified HD Technician. You simply don't know what you are getting into. I also agree, the price is high. Personally, I really like the Dyna platform and would encourage you to search out a 2007 CVO Dyna. Attached a picture of mine.....110 motor, plenty of power. Mine is not for sale but if you can get your hands on one of these rare gems...they are unique, rare and a thing of beauty

Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron Hedges
2000 fxdwg was my first harley love my bike I've heard the timing chain tensioner were plastic. So to replace to had to pull the motor because there is one inside one outside of casing . Most people take advantage of upgrading those tensioner which also relocates the oil pump. Other than this issue I have not had an issue w my ride just about to role over 30k 6k last summer
Well Byron, for your very 1st post, you just gave advice to a question that was asked 10 years ago.

Also, judging from your post, you might keep your technical advice to a minimum ... no offense intended

Welcome to the Forum

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
Campy Roadie (12-30-2020), Dudepants (12-30-2020)