Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmed front motor mount today WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Wireguided
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice post ........i need to do mine too ....just been lazy.

Last edited by Wireguided; 04-05-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up, Thanks.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Thank you very much for the pics.
I have one question, why is it necessary to jack up the motor? Seems like if the motor has pressure trying to pull it's self from the frame all the time causing vibs, that all you would need to do is take out the 2 bolts and the gap should show up. Or maybe I'm just looking at this wrong.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I have one question, why is it necessary to jack up the motor? Seems like if the motor has pressure trying to pull it's self from the frame all the time causing vibs, that all you would need to do is take out the 2 bolts and the gap should show up. Or maybe I'm just looking at this wrong.
That's the same thing I noted cause I don't think this procedure calls for the motor to be jacked, might even put stress on the other mounts if the front is over shimmed, just a heads up for those who want to try this.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
HSB
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

On mine in my first attempt to remove the 2 bolts as I lossened them up you could feel them drag on the frame and they were hard to turn I could not turn them by hand even once they were 1/4 the way out.. So I slid my jack under the front mount and took the pressure off of the bolts by raising and supporting the motor and they came out by hand......
I supose each bike is different you may not need to support your motor with a jack I did....

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC

Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
johnsa28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up may have to do that tomorrow

Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
HSB
Road Master

I knew some one would ask that question..............
I'm currently painting it to match my bike, will post pic's once its complete and on the bike.....

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
So, where's the pics of the chin spoiler?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
HSB
Road Master

No the jack did not increase the gap....... The jack was only there to support the motor weight once the mounting bolts were removed, as I was removing the 2 bolts you could see the mount pulling away from the frame. When the bolts were loose enought that they were no longer touching the frame any longer they were still hard to turn because they were carring the weight of the motor and rubbing on the frame mounting holes as they were coming out..
I put the jack under the motor mount to take the pressure off of the bolts, once I removed the pressure the bolts spun out with my fingers.....
I'm sure each is different............

Originally Posted by OldMike
I think using a jack under your motor may have made more of a gap.
I just loostened the two motor mount bolts without any jack under the motor and the mount seperated about 3/32". The holes stayed alligned without a jack.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

HSB's Quote
No the jack did not increase the gap....... The jack was only there to support the motor weight once the mounting bolts were removed, as I was removing the 2 bolts you could see the mount pulling away from the frame. When the bolts were loose enought that they were no longer touching the frame any longer they were still hard to turn because they were carring the weight of the motor and rubbing on the frame mounting holes as they were coming out..
I put the jack under the motor mount to take the pressure off of the bolts, once I removed the pressure the bolts spun out with my fingers.....
I'm sure each is different.
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

O.K. I think I got it now. You did see a gap before you jacked up the motor. But you jacked the motor up to make it easier to get the bolts out. Thanks again for showing us how to do it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never mind, stupid question

Last edited by redrubicon2004; 04-04-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Shimmed front motor mount today WOW