Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls on, rear brakes barely work, no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Gladiator72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Forward controls on, rear brakes barely work, no brake lights

I have a major problem that I need help with, I put new forward controls on my 03 superglide, they are from hd and the right parts.. I did one side and my brother did the brake side..I found out instead of pulling the pin at the foot control.. he backed the fitting attached to the brake rod all the way off.. I am assuming not good!!!.. Anyhow.. we got everything on the brake side hooked up.. went for a test drive and very little brake at all.. Have to press way to hard to get anything at all and when the pedal is pressed no light on brake light at all.. running is ok.. but no brake.. can anyone help.. please.. I have tried to adjust and no success... Thanks all

Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
sjjbib
Advanced

You need to bleed your rear breaks.... the rear break light isn't working because there is a pressure switch..... no breaks no pressure...

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta bleed em. Might as well change out the brake fluid too if it's something that hasn't been done in the last year. Can't tell you how many times bikes come into the shop with low or opaque brake fluid.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you replace the master cylinder or just changed the forward controls themselves?
Did the wires to the switch get reconnected?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Gladiator72
Tourer

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Did you replace the master cylinder or just changed the forward controls themselves?
Did the wires to the switch get reconnected?
I checked the wires they are ok, didnt change master cylinder, just the controls.. the pedal is hard as a rock no movement barely..Im going to bleed the brakes today and pray, thank you everyone

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

When the push rod was put into the master cylinder, how far was it screwed in? Look very closely at the rubber boot. Disconnect the pin at the brake pedal, then see how much travel you have in the cylinder when it's not connected. It's possible that it's not threaded in far enough. And if it's not moving properly when connected you have a linkage problem of some sort.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To disconnect the brake rod in the way you described, he had to turn the cylinder itself-not kosher but not necessarily a problem. It shouldn't have created the kind of situation you described-with a hard pedal (which generally means the brakes don't need bleeding unless the cylinder's bottoming out, BTW) - I'm wondering if he didn't adjust it too tight or in any case the brake pedal or rod is interfering with the frame, exhaust, etc?

Last edited by fhansen; 04-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Gladiator72
Tourer

Originally Posted by MilesJ
When the push rod was put into the master cylinder, how far was it screwed in? Look very closely at the rubber boot. Disconnect the pin at the brake pedal, then see how much travel you have in the cylinder when it's not connected. It's possible that it's not threaded in far enough. And if it's not moving properly when connected you have a linkage problem of some sort.
Well, I bled the brakes and brake petal is much better now.. adjusted rod along with pedal position.. working great..went for test ride and damn near got rear ended.. driver was kind enough to let me know my tailights werent working... holy s***... Got back to the hse and set up a mirror behind the scoot and sure as hell no brake light.. checked wiring and bulb all ok.. figured squeeze the front brake and there was lights.. ok , so I thought stop light switch... connections all ok..but switch was corroded badly.. ran ohm test and it was bad.. went to harley and picked up a new one.. and all so far so good.. Everyone thank you for all your help.
I really appreciate it.. and this website.. I am slowly learning alot from this and everyone here.. I hope to be able to contribute my knowledge gain someday..... Well my lady is PMSing so Im outta here for a little while,, goin riding.. Thanks again...