Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken bolt inside clutch release cover...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
dsavi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken bolt inside clutch release cover...

I was about to install a new exhaust when one of the bolts from the clutch release cover split in two. I assume I have to remove the entire cover (drain the transmission oil? replace the gasket?) and try to remove the broken bolt...
Any tips?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you put up a pic. of which bolt you broke? If it's just on the side door cover it won't be to hard to get to. If it's one of the side door bolts you'll have take apart alot more. The side door is attached to the gear set and can't be removed without removing the primary, trans sprocket, IPB race. You'll be around $100 alone for gaskets. Let us see what bolt your working on, your best bet may be and EZ out.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 AM
dsavi
Advanced
Default Pic...

Pic of the broken bolt:

Attached Thumbnails Broken bolt inside clutch release cover...-clutch_cover.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're fine. Just leave the bike on the sidestand and remove the cover. Some oil will come out but catch it in a clean pan, if your bike is clean, and re-use it.
As to the bolt - if it's sticking out you may be able to grab it with pliers, if not EZ-out it and replace with another.

If it had been the trans side cover, it can be removed without dismantling the transmission but if you don't have the required removal tool you would need to take it to a shop or someone that actually does that type of work for a living because they do have the tools required.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Derv
Tourer

The cover comes away no probs, just drain the tranny an undo rest of the bolts. You may have to waggle it a bit to get it off if the gasket is holding on to it. The clutch cable won't let you remove it completely from the bike, although it's not a big job to undo it to get the cover right out of the way. Maybe better to do that rather than chance putting a kink in the cable. Hopefully the bolt won't have sheared flush with the trans face and you'll be able to get at it ok. It may be an idea to get a bit of heat on it to help removal

Let's know how you go on

Derv

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh good it's just the cover bolt and not the side door. Do as the others have said and if your careful you should be able to reuse the gasket. If you need a new gasket it part# 36805--06 and cost less than $5. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like derv said... If the bolt didnt sheer flush with the gasket mating surface, you should be able to use a pair of vise grips and muscle it out... If you can throw a bit of heat on it, may help loosen any loctite that was applied at the factory. If it is flush, your gonna have to use an extractor.

ALSO IF YOU SLACK YOUR CLUTCH CABLE AND TAKE IT LOOSE FROM THE HANDLE, THEN YOU CAN TAKE THOSE DOWN TUBE CLAMPS OFF AND PULL ON THE COVER AND GET ALL THE CABLE YOU NEED TO GIVE YOU MORE ROOM TO WORK IN THE AREA.

Last edited by shimmon; 04-07-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
dsavi
Advanced

Thanks, guys! I'll try what you suggested...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't break an easy out in there...

Get some PB Blaster, spay and let sit. Then give it a go with the grips.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 AM
dsavi
Advanced
Default Bad news...

On a closer look, I saw that the broken stud is on the transmission side door, not on the cover. Major removal and disassembly... I think I'll leave it alone, for now.

Quick Reply: Broken bolt inside clutch release cover...