Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch ughhhh

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Thanks for the tip!!!

Someone suggested using a credit card cut and glued to the front brake lever. I cut it to the lever tip shape glued it on let set up and it works great. I hope for the best. The worst part is the friggen cir clips. Thanks guys, you give serious real tips. Johnny

Old 09-08-2014, 12:35 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I broke the little tab off of mine a few years back and ripped the boot. I used some RTV and a tack head about an 1/8" in diameter and stuck it on the end of the button where the tab broke off. Let it cure for a day and worked awesome for a very long time, when I did a bar swap many moons later I finally did the switch change.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

So, if I'm changing handlebars and changing out levers. Do I need to put a shim in to protect it? Can I just pull the lever off. Pull the housings off, replace onto the new bars and then install the levers without worrying about it?
Thanks!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireguy88
So, if I'm changing handlebars and changing out levers. Do I need to put a shim in to protect it? Can I just pull the lever off. Pull the housings off, replace onto the new bars and then install the levers without worrying about it?
Thanks!
I know I had my master cylinder apart more than once on my old Dyna and the switch was never an issue for me. Now that I've said that, I'm sure to destroy the one on my new bike.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireguy88
Can I just pull the lever off. Pull the housings off, replace onto the new bars and then install the levers without worrying about it?
When you get into it,, I think you'll find that they don't really come apart like that,, the right side controls are two parts,
No big deal, it's easy enough and you'll figure it out.
If your careful and aware of the switch it's not a big deal,
,IF, , it get's damaged it's during re-assembly when the lever/master cylinder section is mated to the switch control section and the lever is jammed against the switch,, trouble happens when the rubber covering the switch is torn.
Take it all apart and install your new lever first,, then pull the lever back and stuff a folded over chunk of cardboard between the lever and master cylinder,, holding the lever back.(fold it 3-4 times)(cut a slot so it fit's around the rod/cable) That keeps the inside part of the lever away from the switch.
It's easier to mount the grips and controls on the new handle bars before the handle bars are installed in the riser,, you have more movement.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I must live a charmed life...I have had the controls on my SG and son's WG apart at least two dozen times and I have never used this method and have never broken a switch. I carefully take it apart and carefully put it back together...

My son took his apart only one time and broke the switch. (We didn't get the $60 MoCo part, we got the $15 aftermarket replacement switch for his ride...and a spare to have on hand just because I respect Murphy's Law.)