Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch ughhhh

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch ughhhh

Ok, searched and read many a posts.....I'm a victim of not protecting the front brake light switch in the housing. What are some things that can be placed....and where (in front of the switch button thingy???) should said items be placed? All future garage mechanics take note! $60 bones for a new front brake light switch! I swapped handles last year and NO problems, not so lucky this go around. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say a 4mm pice of cardboard... I DIDNT DO THIS, SO IM HOPING FOR THE BEST

Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine got stuck on, i broke that little button when i swapped for a set of apes. I just robbed the switch from the old handles and wired it in, yep putting a shim or something in that handle helps, and I realized when I broke it without it.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
jto667
Tourer

Just put something immediately in front of that button to keep the handle from snagging it?? Is that what the directions mean?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by jto667
Just put something immediately in front of that button to keep the handle from snagging it?? Is that what the directions mean?
More or less! The cardboard doesn't cover the switch (image 2 p/n 2).

The pin on the lever (see image 1 p/n 1) pushes the plunger into the brake cylinder when squeezed... at the same time the brake switch which is mounted through the hole (image 2 p/n 3) is being released.

Now when you want to take off the lever from the handlebar and insert a piece of 4mm cardboard, the lever is pulled in alittle allowing the pin to come off the brake switch's rubber cap. Now the lever can be removed without snagging this rubber cap.

When you re-install the lever, insert the cardboard as well and insert the lever as shown in image 3....

FXD2003Rider

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 04-07-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

I had to replace my front brake lever and while I was paying attention, I still managed to snag the little button, break it off, and rip the boot. What you have to do to fix it if you dont' want to pay the $60 for the new switch and then another 45 mins of shop time is to take the master cylinder off of the handlebars, and take a small wood screw like 1/4" long and screw it into the hole that's in the end of the plastic plunger. All you have to do is have something that will stick out just a little bit to keep the plunger pushed in when the brake lever is fully released. I read other posts where people glued a piece of credit card on the edge of the brake lever so that will contact the plunger, others got a 1/4" set screw and used that, others put a glob of RTV sealant and put that on their brake lever to make contact with the plunger.

Hope this is what you were looking for

Christian

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser

i smoked mine a couple years ago and it seems like it was only about 20 bucks. it was a bit of a challange to get the wires back in. a good tip would be to take a pic with the digital camera and then fold the wires just like they came out. either way, it was really not a big deal. you will remember next time. good luck.

scott

Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, FXD2003Rider's info and photos tell you what you need to know. Any piece of corrugated cardboard will work. You just want to keep the lever from fully opening. I've done it numerous times and several different bikes and never had an issue.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jto667
If you're removing the master cylinder with the brake lever attached, you'll need to put the cardboard shim in, or anything that will keep the brake lever pulled inwards a little bit. Even the large end of a zip tie will work. If you are keeping the master cylinder on and just removing or replacing the brake lever you don't need the shim, just keep an eye on the end of the brake switch or try to keep it pushed in with a thin flat bladed screwdriver. If from what I read in your OP, you've already broken the end of the brake switch plunger button off, you can do the quick fixes as mentioned, or replace the whole $60 switch. I didn't feel like paying $60 and playing around with taking my switch housing apart so all I did was find the smallest 1/4" wood screw I had and screwed it into the hole in the end of the plunger. Works just fine......

Christian

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
jto667
Tourer

thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch ughhhh