Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Issue's on "99" Wideglide

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Klor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Pressure Issue's on "99" Wideglide

Good Evening All from GR Mich,

A few days ago I noticed possible oil pressure issue's and would like to have some opinions from you all. Here's the story:

I'm thinking it's my oil pump, it's got 64k on it. Here is the problem, when coming back from Lansing to GR, I was getting 32-34 psi on the oil pressure at 65 mph, then when I got in town (GR) and stopped, the pressure was at 15 psi (normally it's around 30 psi). So I stopped to fill the tank, checked ...the oil level, it showed 1 quart low (Humm it dosen't burn oil).

Got home, checked again the oil level still showed 1 quart low. Added 3/4 of a quart, fired the bike up to circulate, now the oil level is 2 inches over the "Hot" oil level (did an oil change the day before everything was normal when I left the next day for the ride)...what do you all think?...

Also, this oil pump survived the cam bearing issue as the bearing blew (not the needle bearings, but the outer ball bearing) at around 18,000 miles, after inspecting the pump, it looked ok to use and has had an extra 46,000 miles on it after the rebuild.

Thank You for any and all input you all may have...

One more opinion....how is the Feuling Superpump oil pump? if I need a new oil pump, was thinking on one of these....

Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I overhauled a bike last summer that went through this same issue. The cam chain tensioners came apart and plugged the oil galleys in the cam plate. The bike started wet sumping and always looked like it was a quart low on oil. The guy was afraid he'd wrecked the engine so he had me go through it just to be sure.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Klor
6th Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by reded
I overhauled a bike last summer that went through this same issue. The cam chain tensioners came apart and plugged the oil galleys in the cam plate. The bike started wet sumping and always looked like it was a quart low on oil. The guy was afraid he'd wrecked the engine so he had me go through it just to be sure.
Thanks Reded...I'll look into that, I may just purchase a Feuling Super, just to get more volume and that would mean I have to remove the cam plate...I new all moving parts were still getting lube, due to the 32-35 psi at 65 mph, now if that drop...big prob.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Klor
6th Gear
Talking Update....

After opening up the cam area found that one of the cam loobs had worn out...(lost approx 1/2" of lift) So I had to replace that and in my opinion this was the major cause of the pump failing.

As you had mentioned Reded...that one of the oil valley's were probably plugged, which caused the false oil level and showed 1 quart low.

Since the oil pump & cam plate were the stock parts and I reused them during my rebuild after the outer ball bearings for the cams failed at around 18,ooo miles and the bike has 65,000 on it now, it was time to replace the pump & cam plate.

I am very pleased with the Feuling pump and cam plate, the "wet sumping" has gone, the oil level is were it should be and I'm getting 40 psi of oil pressure at an idle, at 55 mph ... it's now getting 50 psi....

Have 200 miles on it and still breaking in the new parts....

I would like to Thank Reded for giving input on the syptoms that lead to the right decission for me...

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
reded
Road Captain

You're welcome bud! Glad you caught it before anymore damage was done.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

A cam lobe lost 1/2" of lift? Wow, that's a lot of material to lose.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
reded
Road Captain

Its been known to happen. I've seen cams come out of V8's where the lobe was gone, it was the same size as the base circle.