Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! No start, no spark!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Marksman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! No start, no spark!

UGH!
I just completed swapping my handle bars and I ran all the wires inside the bars. I unpinned the plugs and ran the wires. I left on the protective cover so burrs and what not wouldn't be a problem.
I tested the lights, horn, turn signal, dash lights... before I put the wires back in the backbone. Put eveything together.
I pull the bike out. No start. It doesn't appear to have a spark. Everything else seems fine, cranks over good. All the lights and switches seem to work.

Where to start????
99 Superglide. Carb'd 88.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

Every switch and light on the handlebars seems to work.

I have pulled the seat. There is a Black/ Yellow and Green/yellow wire that seem to go off together. They both have odd connectors. They look like minature in-line fuses. The Green/Yellow connects to a wire in the main harness that goes thru the backbone.
The Black/Yellow wire appears to be a dead end at that odd connector. I do not see any wire that could connect there. I don't know if it is an unused wire.

Anyone know how to back up from the plug wires, to the coil, to the ignition to diagnose this no spark?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you removed the plugs from the heads to check for spark?

Maybe a fuse?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

Pulled the plugs, cleaned them up. Put them in, Pulled the wires looking for spark from the wire to the plugs.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

"Um, you sure you didn't transpose a wire from the handlebar switches? Not sure if they're the same on the earlier models but on the later dynas, the wire colors are the same on both side of the molex connectors so all you do is match up same color wires and reinsert them to the molex connectors."

I was real careful, plus everything else seems to work as it should at the bars. Figure if I miss pinned something, something else would be screwed up. Couldn't be the horn! Had to be a no start thing! I'm thinking its back under the seat. Its pretty crowded in there.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marksman
Pulled the plugs, cleaned them up. Put them in, Pulled the wires looking for spark from the wire to the plugs.
Not a good way to check for spark. Better way is to pull the spark plug from cylinder, attach wire to plug, hold plug to nearest ground (cylinder head) turn it over as if starting and watch for spark (easier if someone helping) Be very carefull there are a few ways you can get shocked.

Since I assume it worked before you got into the bars I would start checking all them connections dealing with the run button and start button circuits. And fuses are a good thing to check also, maybe something shorted if you didn't disconnect the battery before tear down/install.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Marksman
Road Captain
Smile Update! She runs.

Got thru the wire diagrams and manual last night.

First. No fuses on the Dyna. 4 circuit breakers.
The engine light was not lighting. I had power to the breaker, red and black wire. I got power thru the breaker to the gray wire.
That wire goes to the engine run switch on the right grip. I had power up to the switch.
When you turn the switch on it sends the power back down the white /black wire. When I pulled connector 22 apart, I found the the w/blk wire on pin 4 had backed itself out.
Re-assembled the connector, hooked the battery, the engine light lit, hit the start button and it roared to life.

Back to the garage to put that dumb harness back into the backbone.

Thanks everyone.
Rick

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent...I had a feeling it was something in the connectors. Now, go enjoy it.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Sweet, enjoy the riding season!!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, you handled your dilemna with a stead pace, and resolved your issue. Good Job, Now post a Pic for references puroses if ya can, so you can help out anothe forum member of what to look out for when connecting, disconnecting Pins.

Quick Reply: Help! No start, no spark!