Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: 21inch wheel using stock hub and spokes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How To: 21inch wheel using stock hub and spokes.

Well I'm guess I'm the first to try it that I know of and I promised a how to write up, so here it is. Not sure if this qualifies for the under $50 thread. It would if you didn't have to buy a new tire and have it trued etc. Based on the suggestion from JaronB and Ryder that the Jerih 21 inch rim might work with the stock spokes I gave it a shot and they work perfect. The reason you are able to lace the 21 inch rim using 19 inch spokes is that you use a slightly differnt lacing pattern that allows the spokes to reach a little further, and that the Jerih rim has a deeper inset center than most. So this is my attempt to explain how I did it.

First you need to understand that the stock spokes actuall have two types. At the end of the spokes that attach to the hub there is an "L" shaped head. There are two sizes long and short the longer ones allow the spoke to go behind the shorter head spokes since they are laced in opposite directions. Since you will not be removing the spokes from the rim all you really need to know is that there are outer spokes and inner spokes. In the pics below I have color coded the outer (short head) spokes red, and the inner (lonf head) spokes yellow.

The first thing you do is of course remove your tire from you old rim. I did it by hand but you may want to take it to a shop to have them remove it. It is a bit of work to get it off by hand, but doable.

Next you want to unlace you old rim. Once you have the tire tube and rim strip off you'll see that the nipple on each spoke has and allen head inside the rim. I use and air socket with the right allen head which made easy work of this. You could also use a drill with an allen bit just don't be too aggressive so you don't strip them.

Once it is all unlaced. LEAVE THE SPOKES ATTACHED TO THE HUB! This saved a huge amount of effort and will likely save you a buch of confusion. If you want to change your spokes to stainless or something then now would be the time to do it, but that isn't what this thread covers.

Now lay the Jerih rim on a table and place the hub with the spokes attached in the center with the rotor side down. I removed my rotor but you probably don't have to.

Now from the side facing you pick one of the outer spokes. The holes in the rim are angled for counter clockwise and clockwise spokes, so take the outer spoke and lay it over counter clockwise and find one of the holes on the outer edge of the rim that matches the angle.(It will make sense when you see it.) Place it in the hole and thread a few threads of the nipple onto it.

Now from that spoke working clockwise around the hub lace all of the outer spokes skipping exactly 3 holes. The 4th hole will be at the correct angle.

After all the outer spokes are done, pick a inner spoke. Angle it clockwise and cross exactly 3 of the laced spokes and the hole should match up. The pics above show the Yellow inner spokes crossing behind 3 red outer spokes. This is what I mean by crossing 3 laced outer spokes. Thread the nipple on. Now work your way around again clockwise placing the spoke in every fourth hole from the last inner spoke you did.

Now flip the wheel over and repeat the same process.

That's it. Leave the spokes somewhat loose and take it to a pro to true it and have the tire of your choice mounted.

Doing it this was I was able to get it laced on the first try and avoid the frustration that many other people have had trying to do this themselves. It is really simple once you understand it. Hopefully this will help others on the lacing as well as saving you $50 to $100 bucks on the price of new spokes.

Part number for the rim is #30-50
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000123a

PS: I'm using pics for JaronB since my wheel is still at the shop getting re-trued since they got my offset wrong the first time and my tire was rubbing the fender bracket.

Attached Thumbnails How To: 21inch wheel using stock hub and spokes.-downsized_0502001749.jpg   How To: 21inch wheel using stock hub and spokes.-jbwheel21.jpg  

Last edited by jstreet0204; 05-07-2010 at 09:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jstreet0204:
lofeezy (06-12-2018), St. Bob (09-16-2018)
Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 AM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the write-up.. once i get me some new chrome spokes, i'm going to do this.. .

J.

if we all did writeups on the stuff we are doing to our bikes... we all would be so knowledgeable

Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by jousley
thanks for the write-up.. once i get me some new chrome spokes, i'm going to do this.. .

J.

if we all did writeups on the stuff we are doing to our bikes... we all would be so knowledgeable
If you are just going with Chrome spokes, you don't need new ones unless yours are rusted. If I was going with new spokes, I'd go with stainless. A little more, but you don't have to worry about rusting.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write up!! That sucks with them getting your offset wrong. You only got maybe an 1/8 of clearance hopefully they get it right this time.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-22-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by JaronB
Nice write up!! That sucks with the getting your offset wrong. You only got maybe an 1/8 of clearance hopefully they get it right this time.
Yeah it looked to be straight everywhere else, but the rim was offset to the right side about a 1/4 inch. I guess he didn't check both sides. I went through and did all the math, verified that the stock rim is centered also based on the specs in the manual and the measurment of the stock rim. I wrote it all down and took it back yesterday. Of course the guy that trues the wheel was off yesterday so they said they'd try to get it in today. We'll see. They (Dealship) also would not mount my tire since I didn't buy it from them, so I had to find a place to mount it. Several of the Indy's around here have gone out of business lately finally found one a couple of towns over that I wished I had known about to begin with because he could have trued it and mounted the tire for the price I paid the dealerhip just to true it. If I get around to putting and 18 on the rear that's who I will go with.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn that sucks!! Hopefully when I move at the end of the year I can find a good indy like I have out here. Man I just don't get why dealers suck so bad. The new dealer up here in Couer D'Alene I hear is fantastic at everything. I've only been there a couple times, but no pushy salesmen and I heard the service dept is awesome and fast. If you're paying them to mount the tire they shouldn't care where you got it from, those turds!!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:46 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man,this is great. Just ordered my rim and I've already got a spare wheel with a rim that's out of round so I'm set. Been meaning to do this for over a year and will now finally get around to it.

What size tire does this take, I want the most narrow and tallest tire that will fit this rim.

Thanks for taking the time and effort for this write up.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Most of use are running the 120/70/21 It is a fatter tire than you see on most 21 inch wheels, but I think it looks killer with the beefy 49mm front ends on the new dynas. If you want the skinny tire, you'd probably need a different rim, and then I don't know if the stock spokes would work.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Most of use are running the 120/70/21 It is a fatter tire than you see on most 21 inch wheels, but I think it looks killer with the beefy 49mm front ends on the new dynas. If you want the skinny tire, you'd probably need a different rim, and then I don't know if the stock spokes would work.
I gotcha. Just did a search and looked at a bunch of pics with the 120/70/21. You're right it looks killer and probably handles a lot better too.

I'm running the SE 180 an the rear. Is there a particular tire that I should run to match the rear as far as radial or bias,etc.

Thanks

Tom

Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Awsome writeup. I learned the basics when I watched a shop lace mine up. I just didn't have the nerve to try it myself. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: How To: 21inch wheel using stock hub and spokes.