Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scavenger Oil Change on a Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 AM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scavenger Oil Change on a Street Bob

So, I broke down and bought a Scavenger oil change kit from Rouge Choppers. I went out to change my oil on my 2007 Dyna Street Bob.

#1 - If you have V&H Short Shot's you will be running into problems like me. You have to remove the rear pipe to gain access to the oil filler cap and allen bolt. Yeah...didn't know that one.

#2 - It's a bit more messy than they lead on. Once you take the puck off, it's still filled with oil...so be prepared for that. The clear tube, yeah good luck on getting that clean.

#3 - Changing the oil on the jiffy stand, I'd recommend that you get some sort of jack or stand to keep the bike level.

I like the kit none the less. I feel that the bikes oil is definitely cleaner than it would have been if I hadn't flushed it. The oil coming out of the clear tube was pretty bad. That's what would be hitting your brand new oil filter...so ya.

Money well spent...sure. I mean I'll be using it everytime. I've already had some friends ask me to change their oil. I'm charging them $10 above cost. So, if I do a couple bikes...it'll pay for itself.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about some of the things I ran into.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been interested in trying that out. I didn't think about the pipes though. I wonder if I would have the same problem with side shots. I'm not really wanting to remove my pipes every oil change. Where in England are you, I just got to Lakenheath.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the Scavenger Kit supposed to do? I checked the Rogue Choppers site and they only provide a picture but do not explain what it is supposed to do.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 AM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a video from rogue. It looks like a pretty good idea?

http://www.roguechopper.com/video-dyna.html

Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I just used mine for the first time last weekend and it was nasty what came out of the motor. Went for a 10-15 mile ride after and I couldn't see the oil on the dipstick, had to look for the reflection.

I got the same one from Rouge Choppers.

@ Bucket........... Watch the video that mike posted and what it's suppose to do is get rid of all of the old oil so when you put the fresh oil in it does mix with the left over old oil. From talking to people with our air cooled motors that run as hot as they do it's a good thing.

I like it and will be doing it every change.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 AM
whannigan1
Cruiser

looks cool, How much? I definitily do not want to have to take my exhaust off to change my oil.
Is there a way to snake the fitting into the oil return w/o taking off the filler neck and just holding it in place?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Cost is a bit steep $120.00, but I'm glad I bought it. I don't have to remove my exhaust. I don't know what you have for exhaust, but the straight shots both pipes come across the front of the filler neck. If you watch the video below you can try and see if make it work without removing the filler neck. I don't know if the angles will allow it with the metal piece you put in the return line. Plus when you remove the filler and put in the adapter it uses the filler neck bolt to hold it in place so you don't have too.

http://www.roguechopper.com/products..._Kit_RC160.htm

Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
whannigan1
Cruiser

Thanks JaronB, I have D&D fat cat I can hardly get my fingers in to get the fill cap off.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser

@nkauf21 - I'm at lakenheath as well

The easy way to see if the adapter will clear the side shots is to take a regular allen key and try to remove the filler neck. If you can remove the filler neck with the allen key, then you are probably golden. I burnt my hands about 10 times trying to take the filler neck and then the pipe off. The exhaust gasket is cheap, but that's not the point. I just wanted people to understand some of the problems that are out there.

@JaronB - I have the electronic dipstick. Made checking my oil very easy. Without it, I would have had to lay the dipstick on a paper towel to check the level. The oil was very clean.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AFHuey
@nkauf21 - I'm at lakenheath as well

The easy way to see if the adapter will clear the side shots is to take a regular allen key and try to remove the filler neck. If you can remove the filler neck with the allen key, then you are probably golden. I burnt my hands about 10 times trying to take the filler neck and then the pipe off. The exhaust gasket is cheap, but that's not the point. I just wanted people to understand some of the problems that are out there.

@JaronB - I have the electronic dipstick. Made checking my oil very easy. Without it, I would have had to lay the dipstick on a paper towel to check the level. The oil was very clean.
Yup pretty nice! Glad I bought it!

Quick Reply: Scavenger Oil Change on a Street Bob