Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big spark plug problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
lennyb3us
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big spark plug problem!!!

Looks like I stripped out the top couple of threads on one of the spark plug hoels on the motor. Can any tell me if I'm totally screwed or can it be saved??PLEASE HELP

Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lennyb3us
Looks like I stripped out the top couple of threads on one of the spark plug hoels on the motor. Can any tell me if I'm totally screwed or can it be saved??PLEASE HELP
Helicoil??

Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
el chivito76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a manual for starters. You could bring that cylinder to top dead center so that both valves are closed then run a spark plug tap into hole to clean out. Then using compressed air from a chuck blow into hole so that all debris exits out of the plug hole. This is risky but would save you pulling your head depending on your mechanical experiance. I have used this method on vehicles. The only differencde would be is that the vehicle plug holes were not vertical like the trucks i worked on. Its up to you good luck

Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
lennyb3us
Advanced

What's that?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

No offence, if you don't know what a Helicoil is, I would suggest that you take it to a shop and have them fix it.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Grendel4
Banned

What's that?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...repair/4212608

I've seen guys actually use a Shop Vac to get any little chips or metal out of the hole.

I run away when they do that. Gas fumes and electricity scares me.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you pull the threads out or are they just cross threaded? You may be able to carefully clean up the threads with the proper thread tap, but you have to engage the good threads so you don't screw them up. A thread chaser would be preferable and I would think they make them for a spark plug as this is a common problem, especially with aluminum heads/threads. Don't fret, they do make thread repair inserts that are easy to install and, if done properly, a solid permanent repair. Did you do a search on spark plug thread repair? I am sure you are not the first to mess up some spark plug threads.
CB
I would not use a heli-coil, you need to use an insert that is staked. http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 05-26-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you chase it with a tap, grease up the hole and the tap to catch the shavings, again you need to make sure you are going to engage the "good" theads or you will just screw them up. Believe it or not It does take some skill to properly repair the threads and with out seeing the damage it is hard to recommend what is the best approach.
CB
I would try this first.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003j

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 05-26-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Grendel4
Banned

A pisser, to be sure. But not the end of the world. The threads can usually be repaired or a helicoil inserted by a competent wrench.

A Tip: If, in the future, someone doesn't trust their spark plugs to come out cleanly (as in, not bring the threads in the head with them), loosen the plugs by about a 1/8 turn while the motor is warm to the touch. Not hot, not cold -- Warm and no more. An OBTW, make sure the plug well is clean of dirt and debris first.

Then fill the well up to the bottom of the jamb nut on the plug with something like Blaster and let it sit for at least fifteen minutes. It will wick down the threads (and probably into the combustion chamber) and help break them loose. Work the plugs back and forth a little bit as you remove them if you feel the need -- Gently. Don't over-do it, you can cause more damage this way.

As far as getting the Blaster or solvent out? That's your call. If you're **** (like me) -- Well, use your own judgement.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
powderedtoastman
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
If you chase it with a tap, grease up the hole and the tap to catch the shavings, again you need to make sure you are going to engage the "good" theads or you will just screw them up. Believe it or not It does take some skill to properly repair the threads and with out seeing the damage it is hard to recommend what is the best approach.
CB
I would try this first.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003j

I agree.Don't force it and make sure the tap goes in straight. As a secondary precaution I would turn the motorto TDC on the compression stroke, as previously recommended. Then you can either blow any remaining shavings out or vacuum them out.

Quick Reply: Big spark plug problem!!!