Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a little help with a shifting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Big Green
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a little help with a shifting problem!

I bought my 07 FXDL used with some forwards on it. They did it the quick way and the primary still has the stub from the mids. The real problem is that they really skimped and left the shift lever on the back side of the primary on, and zip-tied it to the shift linkage for the forwards. Checked with the stealership, and they said it will take 2 hours labor to open up and remove the primary to get the lever out.

I would leave the damn thing if it weren't for the fact that it will sometimes stop me from being able to shift up/down if it isn't pushed far enough forward.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take zip tie off and just push lever in, or some people have hack saw it from underneath bike. When in need to take primary cover off, like to change belt, stator repair then I would take off.
i glued skull medallion with silicone to keep lever from coming out p cover.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Big Green
Advanced

Will it affect shifting at all if it cannot move? How do you keep it from moving with it hack sawed off? If the lever is back, the bike will not shift.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Simmy150
Advanced

Sounds like it's been "hacked" enough. It's just me, but I would do the two hours at the dealer and make sure that they didn't F up anything else!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 formula

Removing the original shift shaft lever
Get a hacksaw blade and tape each end with duct tape, leaving about two inches exposed in the middle. Also put some duct tape on the primary and cylinder cooling fins. Tape a wrench on one end to get a better grip (on the end of the blade so as you pull on the wrench you will be on the cutting stroke of the blade). Slip the blade between the primary and engine from the bottom of the bike with the wrench end on the bottom. Position the shaft so you can cut about a quarter inch from the lever (not in the welded area). Use your other hand to guide the top of the blade as you cut. After cutting through, the shaft will slide right out, and the lever will just fall to the floor.

Cover for the original shift shaft lever hole
I used a chrome carriage bolt http://www.chromebolt.com/51618-x-134-chrome-carriage-bolt-p-845.html, and put a two inch piece of rubber hose on the threads then added some shrink sleeving on the hose to get a nice snug press fit into the empty shaft hole. If you have a black primary: Paint a unplated carriage bolt. Aluminum cover: Scotch brite a chrome carriage bolt.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Green
If the lever is back, the bike will not shift.
My 2006 Street Bob does. When I bought the bike it still had the mids on it and a set of forwards in a box. At the suggestion of the mech at the local shop I took the mids off, laid the lever back (unbolted the linkage from it first) and installed the little cover folks use when taking the heel portion off of a heel toe shifter to cover the splines sticking through the outer primary. Connected the long link rod to the forwards and have been riding it that way for quite a while.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 07-07-2010 at 06:42 AM.