Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seat and fairing on Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Without offending, that fairing looks hideous on the front of the fat bob. It is your bike and can do with it what you want.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
sbaalman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pablo - It does a good job of deflecting, no pressure on chest and some turbulence around helmet above 80mph, but turbulence varies depending on what helmet I'm wearing too. Once I cut enough of the lower ears to clear the dual headlights, there was only about 3/4" of lexan left on each side, so not enough structure to stay together.

Eric and Longhair - I'm not 100% sold on the looks either, but my reasons for it were 1) I wanted something different, because I don't like the HD detachable for the Fat Bob and I did like the Windvest, but didn't have $350 at the time for one. 2) The only fairing I could find for the dual headlight setup was a Corbin Fleetliner for a Triumph Rocket 3 and they want $1600 for it. 3) The other choice was change from dual headlights to single headlight, and a Fat Bob is not a Fat Bob with a single headlight.

I'm still working on it because it doesn't feel right, and if I end up scrapping it, I'm only out $80.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Cblast
Advanced

Sorry, but I think that is about the worst looking Bob that I have seen. The Fat Bob is not meant to feel like a Road King. Trying to turn it into something that it isn't just looks bad. Not trying to offend, just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
yakbow
Intermediate

who makes the Windvest fairing , please ?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Cblast
Advanced

Originally Posted by yakbow
who makes the Windvest fairing , please ?

W I N D V E S T

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
sbaalman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cblast
The Fat Bob is not meant to feel like a Road King.
I agree, and if I had wanted a Road King, I would have bought a Road King. I was originally looking for something more along the lines of a quarter fairing, but run into the dual headlight issue. I think the part that doesn't look right are the wings that cover the handlebars on the sides. It does it's job of removing pressure on my chest at speed on long rides, but has never looked right. I have no problem with critical opinions about it, but WHAT about it doesn't look right? Since it is Lexan, I can cut it or heat it up to change it's shape and I can modify the support structure underneath it.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaalman
I have no problem with critical opinions about it, but WHAT about it doesn't look right? Since it is Lexan, I can cut it or heat it up to change it's shape and I can modify the support structure underneath it.
In my opinion, it needs to have a better transition around the headlight. I've taken a crude approach to show what I'm talking about.

Check the attached picture to my example... Maybe you can lower the whole thing and create this type of a look...

Attached Thumbnails New seat and fairing on Fat Bob-fairing-temp.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I am with EricInNCa.

It looks like you can cut a contour to lower the fairing. To me it looks to high, and it looks as if the grip shields are also to high.
You paid for it, you ride it. Do what you wish.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you order the Slipstreamer for the V-Rod? I'm wondering if the lower clamps fit .... they should since both bikes have 49MM tubes.

PsTaN

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
sbaalman
Cruiser

Well, I cut a contour into the lower part of the fairing to match the dual headlights and allow it to mount lower on the bike. Attached is a pic of the modified unit. I will mount the fairing over the weekend and see if I like it better.

Much thanks to EricInCa and editbrain for the tips

Attached Thumbnails New seat and fairing on Fat Bob-img_0101.jpg  

Last edited by sbaalman; 10-13-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New seat and fairing on Fat Bob