Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom vs Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Super Glide Custom vs Wide Glide

I left my Super Glide Custom at the dealer this morning for servicing and they gave me Wide Glide to use for the day.

I had no expectations of the WG as I had never ridden one, but I have to say what a huge difference there is between the 2 bikes, i mean poles apart, to me at least.

The WG felt a whole lot lighter and more nimble than my SG. Although it seemed to lack a bit of grunt and didnt feel as torquey as the SG. The SG when riding feels very solid on the road, like you know it weighs a ton and it feels like it does, whereas the WG felt light as feather by comparison. The WG was less effort to handle than the SG, especially at slow speed.

I have to say i really liked the Wide Glide. I still love my Super Glide, the weight and mass of the bike is kinda comforting for me. I like 'em big and heavy (no, not like my women ), but having the WG for a day was a really pleasant change and i would seriously consider buying one if I were to get a second bike (which I am kinda thinking about at the moment anyway ).

Anyone looking to buy a Dyna should make a point of test riding the Wide Glide as it is a really nice bike, and with the smaller tank, skinny front wheel sitting between the wider forks, and a solo seat, it looks and feels more compact than the Super Glide, and every bit as much of a riding experience, just a different experience .

Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Both bikes weigh about the same, the SG 645lbs. The WG weighs 647 lbs. Nice to hear about the handling differences though. My dealer has never given me a bike for the day while mine was in for servicing. Lucky Guy

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you notice much difference in the turning radius, like maneuvering in a parking lot or small area? I love the WG front end, but that rear fender not so much. I've also heard that the thinner front tire tracks into road grooves a little more. Did the WG you rode have the mini apes and did you like them?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Did you notice much difference in the turning radius, like maneuvering in a parking lot or small area? I love the WG front end, but that rear fender not so much. I've also heard that the thinner front tire tracks into road grooves a little more. Did the WG you rode have the mini apes and did you like them?
WG turning radius was in my mind a little more than the SG, that said though it was far more managable. The bikes weigh roughly the same, but the WG was easier to move around at slow speed.

The bike had drag bars, of a sort... almost but not quite flat. Bars kinked up about half inch just before the grips. Didnt like them too much as the reach was a little to long for me.

Didnt encounter any grooves as such, front end rode nicely and didnt seem to wanna go anywhere other than where I wanted it to go.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM
fhansen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the increased rake, I'd think the new WG should be less nimble especially at slow speeds but I've heard they handle well. Don't know how they might've pulled that off.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-07-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep hearing that the WG isn't very stable in curves. What's your take on that?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

didnt notice anything nasty. front end felt lighter over bumps in the road when cornering but i wouldnt say unstable.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:28 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool write up on the comparison between the two bikes .

Old 06-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts
Talking

I have a 2010 FXDWG as my general runaround bike and have a '53 Panhead for fun runs.

I went for the WG because it handles a lot like my rigid frame and is light to the touch.....but unlike the Pan, can cruise at 110 all day in 6th gear.

So I have the best of both worlds-

Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom vs Wide Glide